19 January 2015

Don't Fight the Inspiration

Writers crave inspiration. We seek it out from music, books, and anything else that may inspire us. We sit around waiting for it to strike for what feels like forever, usually whining about writer's block and absent muses. But when that inspiration finally hits, do you use it to its full advantage? Do you write every possible second you can before it fades away? Or do you let it slip through your fingers?

One of the things I always do before I write out a scene is picture it several times in my head before I write down a single word. It helps me picture exactly how the scene is going to go, and I can make changes if things don't feel right before I even start writing. If a particular story is occupying my brain, it's pretty much all I can think about. I'll picture different scenes while trying to read, taking a shower, or even when I'm trying to fall asleep (believe me, that's when the best inspiration hits). My problem is that I don't always use this inspiration to its full advantage. So it feels like I'm fighting it.

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for not writing even when they're feeling inspired. Maybe the images are in your head, but the words aren't materializing as easy. Maybe you have too many ideas and can't focus on just one. Maybe you just don't have time to write. Or maybe you're scared to.

I know, it sounds weird, but I think it's my problem so I figure I can't be the only one. Whether its a story idea that you've been working on for years, or one you just came up with, sometimes making the commitment to write is easier said than done. The story you've been working on forever may seem too daunting and exhausting, and you feel like you'll never figure it out. And maybe that new idea seems fresh and exciting, but who knows what will happen once you commit to it? Either way, those ideas feel safer in your head, so you don't write anything. And if you're like me, if you don't give in to the ideas, eventually they start fading away.

It sounds crazy, right? Shouldn't we be milking the inspiration for all it's worth? Why is it so difficult to actually start writing? Fear is a big factor, but I also think it's about self-indulgence. Just thinking about those ideas can be entertaining, and you don't have to worry about getting all the words right. It's just for you, so why should it matter? What you have to realize is that writing can be self-indulgent, too. If you like an idea enough, why not write it down? If nothing else, at least you would be able to read it. Having those pictures in your head be words on the page can be motivating as well. You'll want to write more. And if you think it's good enough, if you keep working on it, hopefully you'll want someone else to read it, too.

No matter what your reason is, don't fight the inspiration. Give in to it. Any chance you have to write is a chance you should take.

15 comments:

  1. I'm working on a story right now that I've had in my head for years and it's tough going because I still don't have it all worked out. So I'm reluctant to put it on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is I've got to sit down to write before inspiration comes, usually when I've put in hours of what feels like nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, Sarah. This is my biggest problem and the reason why I have so many abandoned first drafts or half finished pieces. I have a crappy attention span so am constantly walking away from one project because a new shiny idea has popped into my head.

    I'm determined to make 2015 the year where I write endings and get more finished work out there.

    Squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stories always live in my head for awhile before I sit down and write. I've taken on some projects that are daunting. I try to look at them as experiments and way to stretch as a writer. Some have worked out some haven't but I was entertained by the character while wrote.

    I do think fear does play into us sitting down to write out what's in our heads. It's not so much fearof failure, altho, that's a part of it, but it's fear of success and the time and imagination to do it again. But I like how you put it--entertaining and don't worry about how the words come out, get the story down. :-)

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear sometimes I'm inspired to write but then I sit down at the computer and poof! It's gone. Usually, if I just make myself start writing, the inspiration (and motivation) will reappear. Then it's tough to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem when I am feeling inspired is not enough time and too many other responsibilities waiting for me. You're right that we shouldn't fight it though. We should let the inspiration carry us away to where it wants us to be. I've also learned that you can't sit around waiting to be inspired, you have to inspire yourself, which is music does for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if I don't have the words I'll write something down. If I get stuck I'm one of those who paces back and forth and mutters under my breath like a mad person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the fact that you're always thinking about story ideas reinforces the fact that you're a true writer. :) As far as picturing different ways that a scene could go in, one thing that I do is write "alternate endings" or alternate scenes; that way, I can figure out which one works best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. This was very inspiring. I sure try to follow through when the writing urge comes, but most times I fail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally there. I spend most of my time visualizing scenes, working through kinks. But I hesitate to write because I'm still working out the details of timeline. I've changed the location of the pygmy island three times so far! I think this time it'll stick, but the way they get there keeps changing, so the scenes I see in my head keep changing. I guess that's one reason why I delay in writing.

    But visualizing stuff is so much fun, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I struggle it's because I can see the ideas so clearly in my head, I know my words won't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember reading once that Danielle Steel will go weeks without writing, but when she writes, she writes around the clock. She'll even write on toilet paper while she's in the bathroom. (Not that I'm a fan of hers or anything!) This was a while ago--she still wrote by typewriter--so hopefully she found a laptop by now and maybe a stand for when she's on the toilet. But when I get that inspiration, I think of that and wonder if I should just stay up all night writing while I'm feeling inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think a moment passes for me when I don't get inspiration. In fact that might be a curse for me in some ways since I probably lose a lot of good ideas. It seems like one of my biggest problems is my mind's affliction of rampant free association. I will sometimes write down the ideas if I can, but there are so many ideas that come to me while driving or doing something where I don't have to ability to record what I've come up with.

    Lack of focus is probably my biggest weakness. I'm an idea-machine but I don't follow through like I should. I think that's why I like the blogging writing style--I sit down and quickly whip something out for a post and then I can move on to my next idea. Now to focus my energies on a prolonged project.

    I think you hit on a lot of where I am. And I think there is something about that fear factor.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. At the beginning of a story, I guess I do push the ideas away because I'm worried that if I start, I might not finish the story. I hate the idea of leaving things undone. Good thing I push past that feeling or I would never have anything written.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For me I get so frustrated when the inspiration is there but the time to indulge it fully is not! I love it when I get so absorbed in what I'm writing that I lose track of time.

    ReplyDelete