06 April 2016

Evolving

**My theme for this year's A to Z Challenge is THE REVISION PROJECT. Topics I come across while I write the third draft of my novel, Uneven Lines.**

Today's post is also a tie-in for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up! 
I used to go out with girls, if you can believe it. Like, a lot. Crazy, I know. 

Most people don't stay the same over the course of their entire lives. You've probably changed a lot at this point in your life and will continue to do so as you get older. The same can be said for characters. They are supposed to be like real people after all, right? Sometimes the point of the story is for a character to evolve. But what if the characters or the story evolve without you even realizing or meaning to? 

I've noticed a ton of changes from the very first draft of UL up until now. And not just the ones I made on purpose. Because there were a lot of those (and more to come). I've noticed that not only have my characters evolved from where they started, but I've also evolved quite a bit as a writer. I guess that's just what happens when you spend over five years on the same story. 

My characters have changed quite a bit. In the very first draft, Jordan was basically a sociopath and was definitely bisexual (bwahahahaahaha...sorry, it makes me laugh). He's softened over the years (although he's still quite the manipulative little SOB) and although he's dated a few girls before the novel begins, it was just for show (there is a brief encounter with a girl about halfway through the book, but that is another post!). I know sometimes I complain about spending so long on the same story, but without that amount of time developing every single detail, I don't think he would have become the character he was supposed to be. He would have been a different person entirely.

When I first started this story, I thought it was the best thing I had ever written. It started as a short story (although it was a bit on the long side). Eventually I decided to change it into a novel, to be able to flesh out those parts that were rushed and add in more details. So the story was evolving from the very beginning. What I didn't expect was to eventually feel so differently about that first draft. Because now I hate it. 

I'm sure most people are frightened by their first drafts. They can often be a mess. Every time I look at that original story, I cringe. I can probably count on one hand the number of lines that have made it through all the drafts untouched (and they're probably all dialogue). So why did I think it was so good at the time? Maybe the answer is that it was. Maybe it was the best thing I had written up to that point. That doesn't mean it was perfect. It just means I was improving as a writer. I still had a long way to go. What was good about it wasn't necessarily the exact words on the page, but the story they told. And that was something worth working on. 

So my characters have evolved, my story's evolved, I've evolved. And I'm sure we're not done. 

Have your characters evolved as you write your stories? How have you evolved as a writer?

21 comments:

  1. I think we evolve our entire lives, with or without our full input. Things happen to us. We become involved in 'this', while 'that' ends. I think the same thing happens to our characters, especially in a series or a sequel. It's a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely on both accounts! I've changed so many times over the course of a few years as I've written several books. So do my characters. I love how as you write, they change into what the story needs them to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting. I don't write fiction, so I can't relate to how my characters have changed, but it is interesting to read about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if we're not evolving, we're not doing this thing right. My absolute favorite aspect of a story is the character arc. Truth. If characters don't change, I really don't care for the story.

    Crystal Collier

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stories have certainly evolved, which probably means the characters, too, though I can't think of a good example. I mean, I do have that one character who was only supposed to be a minor background guy who died, and he evolved into this semi-main character who will eventually get his own spin-off series. But I don't think that's exactly what you're talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe my writing skills have evolved, have gotten better (hopefully!) But I don't want to evolve so much that I lose the original passion, the essence of my imagination. Sometimes too many "rules" can deplete that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've for sure gotten better over the years. Which is comforting! How sad it would be if it were the opposite. I can only hope I continue to grow my craft. And you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was writing my series when I was a teen, my characterson changed drastically because I had gotten older, so I rewrote the series. They changed even more after that...they were adults. But I loved it.

    I know I've changed a lot. My past made me stronger. And my skills for writing and editing gave gotten better too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dianne K. Salerni once commented on my blog that it isn't until she writes the first draft that she even figures out what the story is about. I thought that was very insightful. First drafts are meant to be terrible. We're feeling the characters out. It's taking me a long time to get there with my WiP. Like you, I thought my first draft on this story was excellent until I read it again. Because it took so long to write, I could see the improvement as I moved through the story. Writing is a strange thing. The only thing I know is that we improve as we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Then it's good you took so long with the story.
    The first draft for my first book was written over thirty-five years ago. Yeah, it was a real mess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting ready to revisit my last manuscript after letting it marinate during April. I'm hoping some character development has occurred in my absence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've spent eight years on my story so far and it still has a ways to go. Depressing sometimes, but I've learned so much about writing along the way it makes it all worthwhile. Just hang in there and know that your story will eventually be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't keep my first draft (I'm on, like, the 20th at this point), but I remember how awful it was. I've definitely grown as a writer.

    My characters did a little evolving, too, and I think that gave them a little more life than when I first started so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ignore my first draft's existence after the first couple of edits for self-preservation reasons. It's fantastic we and our manuscripts evolve. That means there's hope.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's awesome to read about how your characters have evolved. Obviously you were meant to take your time with this story. I'm sure it is just getting better and better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I have to totally agree with the last bit about the importance of the story the words have told! (not exact quote of your words) My first drafts look horrible, but the story and the characters still beg to live onward - just like yours.
    Happy Revising!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sure have. My first books were a trilogy so not only did they evolve two got married.

    I’m exploring different types of dreams and their meanings.
    E is for Epic Dreams
    Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, characters evolve, especially when your a pantser.

    One of my stories sitting on the digital shelf was a lesbian bounty hunter. Through the story, she was very much a lesbian. Not so much man-hating, but disliked men who underestimated her and who tried to hit on her. Much to my surprise, near the end of the story, I learned she is not so much a lesbian, but homoflexible. Basically she's 95% lesbian, but 5% bisexual. For the right guy... something could happen. But we're talking like, one in a trillion.

    Maybe not so much an evolution, but definitely not knowing who my character is and them keeping secrets from their creator. Another character I thought was asexual. I knew he was celibate and he took it seriously, very seriously. Until I introduced a female character, and while he remains celibate, there is chemistry there.

    It's what I love about characters, there is no telling where they might end up. I let the characters tell me who they are, and accept that they might not tell me everything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love evolving stories. It normally means my heart is in it, so its fun. I hope you are having loads of fun with it.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think memorable character evolve and it's those changes that make us root for them. Or hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was the best thing you'd written up to that point. You and your characters have simply grown since then. Enjoy the long process. Once published, the time you get with a manuscript becomes shorter and shorter.

    ReplyDelete