02 August 2017

So Busy I Can't Think of a Title

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


I almost forgot to write this post! In my defense, I'm busy busy busy. On top of work, I'm getting ready for my birthday trip to NYC next week where I will be eating lots and lots of food and FINALLY seeing Hamilton. Whoop whoop. If you follow me on Instagram, I'll probably be posting a lot. Mostly food. Watch out. 

Anyhoo, I don't really know what to write about. Well, I haven't been writing much in the past week or so. Because, you know, busy. My Camp NaNoWriMo goal kind of went down in flames. I only edited for just over 10 hours, waaaaaaaaaay short of my 60 hour goal. I did get through the dreaded Chapter 11 AND Chapter 12, so that's good. There has been a lot more rewriting in this draft than I thought there would be. I've been adding a ton more words to this draft. I'm sure at some point I'll actually get to the last third of the novel where I have to completely rewrite it. Not looking forward to that as much.

A new development on the editing front is that my husband has been reading my chapters and we've been talking about each one afterwards. I don't want any beta readers until this draft is done, and, well, I don't want anyone reading the last draft because it sucks. But he read the first draft way back when so he's at least familiar with the story and honestly, just talking about it out loud even with someone who isn't a writer helps me to figure things out.

Of course, since he's my hubby he has to say how he thinks it's good, despite the fact that he would never ever read this book if I wasn't the person who wrote it. And I kept asking him if he thought the voice was annoying so many times that he told me to stop. It is kind of a confidence boost because as I go through things, I can see the parts I got right. The symbolism is crazy at some points and I think I had a big stupid grin on my face when I was explaining it. I also kinda just love when he's reading and then laughs at a line and I have to ask which one was it (I can usually guess).

Well, that's about it. I'm off work tomorrow but then have to work four days until I leave for my trip on Tuesday. I still haven't picked out my bus ride books!

27 comments:

  1. 10 hours of editing is awesome! More than you had done before, right? :)

    Have a wonderful birthday and an exciting and fun trip to NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYC for your birthday - awesome! My hubby reads my drafts. He's a really helpful sounding board and a great editor. It works really well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fun birthday trip! Awesome your husband is reading your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm picturing your camp going up in flames. Summer is so hard for me to find the time to write. I did manage to get started an a new MG novel. A trip to NYC?!! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!! I love that he's so positive. My hubby only tells me what's wrong when he reads my writing. It's taken years of training to get him to actually express the things he likes about it as well. *sigh* We're a work in progress, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having someone close to read your work as you write is great. I've never had that, so you're lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least he's read it! My husband told me, "I've avoided reading your work because I don't want to make you feel bad if it sucks." :) I do occasionally get him to go over my short stories, but it's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He might like it because you wrote it, but even a non-writer can give good feedback. The first people to see my manuscripts are my two test readers and they are good for spotting overall problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hubby sounds great, mine tried to read my work once and was only keen to tell me where I was going wrong! Hope you have a lovely birthday it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great that your hubby's lending a hands. That's darned supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so jealous that you get to see Hamilton! That sounds like an awesome trip.

    My husband reads my manuscripts as well. He is pretty good at finding typos. Whenever his compliments the story, I have a hard time believing him because I keep thinking he has to say nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a fun trip to NYC and an early Happy Birthday to you. I love bouncing ideas off my husband. He's not a fiction reader (except my books) but his insight into characters or situations always helps or gets me thinking about other possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun in NY and happy birthday! I'm adding pre-beta reader to my list of ideal husband traits. Uhm...here. On the bottom of page 67.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your birthday trip.

    My husband wouldn't read any of my books if they weren't mine, either. He's so patient.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your time in NYC. What an exciting place to spend a birthday! My husband, who rarely reads, and hasn't finished a book since the All Souls Trilogy that we read together, has been an invaluable critique partner and brainstorming with him about plots and subplots has been amazing. That being said, he's had to be patient with my debut-novel insecurities -- that's where this great group comes in! Thanks for posting today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, and have a great, great time!
    My hubby listens to my books, I read them to him a chapter at a time. Except the first one. He actually read it. Refused to until it was published though. Now I tie him to a chair, somehow he still falls asleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about being busy. But it did sound as if you've made progress, which is great news. I'm waiting until my story is finished before I show it to my wife. I already have enough crit partners, but I'll need a beta-reading later and she'll be perfect. Happy upcoming birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a happy birthday and enjoy your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on beings so studious to the editing. WTG. Have a happy birthday.
    Bon Voyage Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband is a good idea-bouncer, too. And it does help, I think, to get that not-a-writer perspective sometimes.

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love when family/friends read my writing, but I always think they are just being polite when they say its good. So glad you are making editing progress though :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have fun in NYC! I went there three years ago and loved it. And lucky you that you get to see Hamilton! I heard that it's really good. Maybe you could get an autograph from one (or more) of the cast members after the show.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you have a great trip! I visited NYC in January for the first time. It should be warmer for you, I'm sure. Great that your hubby is so helpful. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do hope you have a great trip, but I'm jealous you're getting to see Hamilton. One day, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. how awesome your hub reads for you and you guys can discuss it! mine doesn't like to read =(

    happy bday - what a great way to spend it! i know you had a blast!
    ps - i gave you an award =)
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did the trip go? I would love to see Hamilton one day.

    My sister read my first draft, but that was years ago, and she doesn't care about fantasy anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so envious that you got to see Hamilton! I hope you had an awesome time. ^_^

    ReplyDelete