06 December 2017

The Year of Not a Whole Lot

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


I almost forgot to write this post! That's what I get for procrastinating. Luckily the IWSG provides an optional monthly question we can answer, which is always great when I'm in a rush and can't think of an idea. This month's question is:

As you look back on 2017, with all its successes/failures, if you could backtrack, what would you do differently?

Speaking of procrastination...

I did not get a lot done this year. Definitely not as much as I'd hoped. I really wanted to finish the third draft of Uneven Lines, actually much earlier in the year. But it looks like it's not going to happen again. There's just still so much work to do and not enough time to do it. 

I made some good progress in the beginning of the year. Not fantastic, but at least I had a steady pace going. I haven't had a good momentum since the end of July. I've only finished two chapter edits since then. There's just always something getting in the way - work, vacations, errands, a sick cat. And usually after all that I'm too tired to do much writing. 

I also just tend to avoid editing if I know it's going to be hard. I put it off. I know I just need to tackle it but it's hard to motivate myself. 

On the other hand, this novel has always been a bit of a slow process, but with some good results. It's extremely complicated and I've needed the time to figure things out. I also don't think I'd have the same story if I had gotten it done years ago when I first thought of it. I do think all the changes will make it a better story.

But still, I just want the damn thing done! I feel depressed sometimes that I'm not working on it, but then it's hard to work on it because I'm depressed and...it's a vicious cycle. 

I think if I can finish the current chapter I'm on I can bust through at least 3 or 4 more before getting to some really difficult editing. But usually even when I think a chapter will be easy, it turns out to need more work than I imagined. 

I think for next year I'd just like to do more. I'd like to spend less time doing nothing. If I can say I worked on writing every day, even if it's just for a few minutes, I'd take that as an accomplishment.

22 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Another year for me without finishing my story. I'm getting closer--I can see the light at the other end of the tunnel--but I'm getting antsy about finishing. Maybe in 2018.

    Sick cats are definitely a drain on the writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same situation as you and Ken. I wish I could make more progress. But that's great that you are seeing improvement in your work. And if you have a job or other responsibilities, don't beat yourself up so much. We all need that lazy, down time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in that vicious cycle too where nothing gets done. But it sounds like taking it slow might be the right process for you so that the story evolves into what it's meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate to the not wanting the edit! That's my own weakest point when it comes to writing, my least favorite thing to do. But I refuse to feel guilty. It will get done in it's own good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you regarding struggling with the story. I've had ideas where I tried to write but realized either the story wasn't ready or I wasn't ready/able to tell it the way it needed to be told.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely a vicious cycle. I've been trapped in an endless editing loop for longer than I care to admit, which makes me want to spend my days crying in a corner. Which I definitely do not do...

    You're going to get there, and this book is going to be amazing when you do. I, for one, can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Editing is hard. It feels like English class. The bonus is a more refined manuscript. Wishing you the best in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some books take longer, and I'm with you on the editing. Writing I can do fast, but I'm such a slow editor, especially if there's a lot I need/want to change to make the story--hopefully--better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will get done! And think of how much better it will be because you put it in the Croc Pot instead of the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems as if a lot of us feel the same way here today. We need to do more! Yet, I look at the year and can't imagine how I could have stuffed more into it. I took a break. I need another one already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life can sure butt in with obligations, sucking away any writing time we thought we had. You know...slow can be very good. Slow progress is better than no progress at all. :)

    P.S. I hope 2018 will bring another The Muse Party Blogfest. ;) But only if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been working on the same book for over 3 years - I understand just wanting it to be DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been in that cycle before, so I can at least say it won't last. Just sucks because I can't say how long it will last. x_x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi--stopping by from IWSG as a new member. Great to meet you. Well, novels take a long time to write, don't they. Especially if they're complex.

    Best wishes for 2018. I hope your novel gets finished, edited and published next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's easy to fall into that do-nothing trap. Harder to get out of it. Writing even a few words each day is a great goal. Once you get started, you'll keep going. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean Sarah, there is always something to drag me away from writing too and I feel like I haven't achieved as much as I would have liked. I am hoping that next year brings me more focus and time. Hope 2018 is a good one for you and your writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am there with you. I wanted to have something to publish but I haven't finished the draft yet always something. Best of luck to you. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a lot of us are on the same page with not feeling like we accomplished a whole lot. Maybe 2017 was a recharging year so we can all shoot the lights out in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I almost forgot to post too. Ended up writing something very quickly and very late on my blog (Write On). I'm not good at writing fast. I'm an edit over-and-over again writer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A few minutes a day can add up to quite a lot of writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. good work,thanks for sharing this post...

    http://www.grsshoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. "But still, I just want the damn thing done!" <-- I totally know how you feel. I'm rooting for you Sarah. You can get there!

    ReplyDelete