07 February 2018

Fizzling Out

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


Somehow it's February already. And despite all the motivation I had at the beginning the year, I don't really feel like I've accomplished much. It seems all that motivation fizzled out rather quickly, and I'm trying to find ways to get back on track.

So how did January go? Well, so so, I guess. I started off strong with social media, taking part in challenges on both Twitter and Instagram. About halfway through the month, I pretty much gave up on the Instagram ones. I knew I would skip days here and there if I didn't have things to post for those particular days, but at a certain point I just stopped doing it. I think it was equal parts not having good ideas for the posts and just not having the motivation to do it.

I did, however, stick with #WIPjoy on Twitter right until the end, so that was great! I've always wanted to do it and it was a lot of fun. I probably won't do it again with the same WIP, but definitely with a different one.

Reading has also been so so. I'm a little behind on keeping up with my yearly goal of 100 books. I only read 4 books in January, and only two of those books were from my "Clear the Bookshelf" theme. So, the bookshelf is still pretty full. I did finish another book today and am close to finishing my 6th, but I haven't started my February romance books yet. However! I'm at 5 books which is waaaaaaaaay ahead of any previous year's reading. I probably haven't finished 1 book in the past few Januarys, so I'll count that as a win (sort of).

Writing? Hahahahaaha. Yeah, bit of an epic fail there. I haven't gotten anything done. I still haven't finished my Chapter 13 edit. It's just turned out to be so much more complicated than I thought it would be. Which will be great once it's done. It'll be a really interesting and complex chapter, where I thought it was super simple to begin with. But...I have to actually finish it first.

The good news? I have the next four days off from work (I have waaaaay too many PTO hours and we can max out so I have to use them!) so that means lots of time for writing and reading!! Let's just hope I actually do it.

22 comments:

  1. You were really good with the WIPjoy on Twitter and I enjoyed learning more about your WIP. I kind of fizzeled out quickly. I don't think I'm really in the groove with Twitter. Enjoy your time off from work. I bet it will be nice to have a nice long break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too hard on yourself when you work at a job too. There's only so much that you can do. I used to read 100 books a year, but that just got too much for me. I am happy that I am enjoying YA fantasy again--what I write--and am reading my second one this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've fizzled with my writing as well. So much going on in my life right now and trying to adjust to the new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time off! I've read four books this year too. I'm reading two more right now. Good luck with the writing. Hopefully you'll get inspired by all the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry too much re any of your goals - it's only February! You have plenty of time to get on track or get on a new track, if that works better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually end up in the same boat with PTO hours. Take those days and run with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all have ups and downs. I know I struggle a lot with it. But you have time off, so WOOT! Here's to rocking the reading and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My January was a fizzle when it came to writing. I wrote the first few days, but I had other things vying for my attention so writing took the backseat. I'm hoping to get back into writing...starting tomorrow. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you need us to crack the whip at your during your days off to make sure you write? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your writing time! And don't stress too much about the goals. Winter blahs tend to fizzle a lot of us out, but spring is coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started out pretty well at the beginning of January, writing-wise, but then things went downhill. A combination of life and procrastination did me in. I'm doing better now, but we'll see if it sticks this time.

    Once you get back into it, the writing will come. Good luck with your PTO days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm way behind in both my writing and reading goals. And fitness goals and every other goal I set for myself at the beginning of the year. If I had set a goal to eat my weight in chocolate cake, however, I'd be set...

    Hooray for four days off from work! May you be super productive and get back on track. Like Madeline said, it's February, so we both have time to make some course corrections.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had 4 days off! I hope you get a lot done.

    I keep up with Instagram better than Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My January started slow with everything but I hope to build momentum over the next few months, and actually get back to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Sarah, I struggle with Instagram because I like my laptop better than my phone. Four days off of work sounds fantastic--enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry. No one changes overnight. Best to not give up. Still read and write. Pick a time and tell yourself: it's only for five minutes. See what happens. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  17. well, you have set a lot of goals, so keeping up with some of them is a great accomplishment. i don't know if there are enough hours to do it all - you're so ambitious! so don't worry if you haven't kept up with all of it.

    and reading is research - it will help inspire your writing. happy february!

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you get a ton of writing done in the next few days! I didn't make my goal of reading 100 books last year (though I did read more than shown in Goodreads, but I don't review if I can't give it a reasonable review/score.) I changed my goal to one book a week for this year, but I'm ahead so far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Feeling a bit of the fizzle myself. Wishing you the best and cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope the time off is productive for you in terms of reading and writing. I too have been struggling to write since the new year but I am hoping to get going again as soon as possible. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My writing has actually started off with a bang this year. Now I'm just trying to keep the momentum.
    I seem to keep up with Twitter better than Instagram. The thing is, time is so limited.
    Hope you get back into the swing of things soon.

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  22. I actually read a ton less than normal in January too, but I blame that on not getting home from a long road trip until the 8th, then still having to open Christmas presents, and then all the trip recovery. I think sometimes we have to look at our circumstances and be a little forgiving, eh?

    Regardless, I know you're going to kill it going forward, or at least make progress. Can't complain about that, eh? Aim for the stars, hit the mountaintops. Good thing you didn't aim for the mountaintops. ;)

    ReplyDelete