01 May 2019

Character Motivations

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


Hey, did you know that writing a novel can be super complicated? Crazy, right?? 

For those of you keeping score at home, I did finish Chapter 25 (including the music playing scene I was struggling with! I think it came out pretty amusing). Now onto Chapter 26, which can only be described as a DOOZY. Basically, I'm wrapping up a subplot with a big fight scene (verbal, not physical), immediately followed by something HUGE in the main plot. And since it takes place back to back on the same night, I'll want to keep it in the same chapter (unless it feels like it's going to be 20 pages long or something).

But while it's pretty heavy on the surface, there is also A LOT going on underneath. Since I write in first person, it's easy to convey what my main character is thinking, as well as what he's actually saying. Which is good in this particular chapter, the first half of which is a big fight with his mother, because he can't actually say the real reason that he's angry with her, because it would give away a huge secret. He shows his real anger but basically has to create a cover story for having it.

Seems complicated enough, right? But that's not actually what I'm struggling with. The trickier part is figuring out what's going on with the other character, Jordan's mom. I think she's an interesting character because while most of the time she seems terrible, she does have her motherly moments. So the thing I need to figure out is her motivation in this scene. Basically, she did a thing that really really upsets Jordan. But the bigger question is why did she do it? It seems like she's trying to punish Jordan, but is that because it's the right thing to do as a mom, or because she's actually trying to hurt him (did I mention her terribleness?)?

Phew. Ok. I know I'm super vague about this, but the main point is that character motivations can be hella complicated. Especially when you aren't in that character's head. Sometimes you have to take a moment to actually jump into their head and figure out what's going on in there. I can't really guess at her motivation to make this scene work, even if Jordan is guessing the whole time. I have to know, even if that means also creating his mom's ENTIRE BACKSTORY (that I totally thought I didn't need to figure out until Book 2. Darn.). Because some of her motivations go back to when he was born.

I think it's even more complicated, because the more I think about it, the more I realize the answer to what her motivations are is that it's both things. On some level, she does hate Jordan, she wants to hurt him simply for existing. But there's also some motherly instinct in there, too. I think the biggest part of this scene is getting her to admit the worst part of her motivation. That is what's going to hurt the most and make Jordan run off and lead to the next HUGE SCENE which I will not be telling you about. *insert evil laugh*

I don't know if any of that made any sense at all since I'm the only person who knows what's going on in my book. But basically, character motivations can be tricky. But they can also be complex. Sometimes a character may not even understand why they're doing something, or they just don't want to admit it to themselves.

Do you like complex characters? Can a character have conflicting motivations?

31 comments:

  1. Okay, it sounds really complicated but also loads of fun as you work everything out and finally get to that aha! moment when it falls into place.
    If the character is unaware of why they're doing something, that's even more complex, and can make for some serious and maybe even life-changing moments, when it all unravels.
    Have fun!
    Happy IWSG Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Complex characters are what keep me reading even if a plot is so-so. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, character motivation is complex, but like Madeline says it does make a story more interesting. I'm going to be starting a new chapter too where I need to subtly show that a character isn't as much a villain as he seems. Will see if I can get it right. Hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes a lot of sense. I tend to write quite simplistic characters. I'd like to stretch myself in a future book or series and dig into more complex characters and their motivations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like complicated characters, but when their motivations are unclear, it can be a big headache for the author. I wonder if readers really notice as much though, but I suppose it's better to cover your bases or else--plot hole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually write simpler characters, but I do plan out everyone's motivations ahead of time. I only write third person so I need that knowledge since I'm not in anyone's head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Character motivation is totally tricky, so this makes a lot of sense. And I do agree some act without really knowing why. But for the reader, there eventually has to be a reason. I love complex characters myself. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do know how complicated writing a novel can be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love complex characters, even if they make the writing of the story itself more complex. One of my WIPs is a 1st person POV with one narrator, and I find myself needing to go through and map out what the other main non-narrating characters are doing off screen because there's a disconnect happening somewhere and I can't figure out where. I may just write out their POVs, even though they won't appear in the book, so I can figure out what exactly their motivations are.

    Best of luck to you—happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a mom, I can't imagine hating my child. I might hate myself for not guiding/mentoring/supporting him though. Hint: my son takes what I do sometimes as an attack, especially when I'm trying to protect him from making a mistake. Just saying.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Complex characters are always good - it's good to have a villain with complexities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writings scenes fraught with emotions is just about the hardest thing for me to do. I just have no idea how to write them. The order of events, the conveyance of emotions without sounding melodramatic, the tension filled dialogue... Makes me want to find a ghostwriter who will fill in the words for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Complex characters can really add a lot of drama and tension to a plot. Motivation was something I found hard to pinpoint with a character recently. I did do a lot of thinking about backstory and what mad them tick even though most of that information would never make it into the story. It can help you get to know a character inside out though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always been enamored with complex characters. I think they make things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Characters, just like real people, can have conflicting motivations. It's that inner conflict that makes everyone interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds as if you're making steady progress toward the end! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your emotive writing style on this post. I totally agree that character motivation is complex. Tying it to the backstory sounds wise. Maybe you can hint at the backstory in book one and dive into more deeply in book two.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dang. She is a complex character. Working through all of that would be tough, but it sounds good! Especially knowing how it impacts Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny. I just sent a chapter 25 and 26 to my writer's group for critiquing. Emotions are hard. Now that I've read your post, I'm wondering if my draft was ready to press "send!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds super tricky, but awesome! I like it when characters have complex reasons and when they don't even seem to realize what they're doing. Way to go bringing that complexity into the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds pretty complicated. For myself, I try not to get into antagonists' heads in my stories. It is enough for me to express the struggles and controversies of the protagonists. The antagonists - I don't see them as persons. I see them as natuaral disasters. I don't look for a motivation for a tsunami wave, right? A villain is the same. Who cares why he does what he does, as long as my protagonist finds a way to deal with his troubles. Maybe it is a simplified approach, but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Complex characters make a story interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Complex characters are the only kind I like. I love it when a character has conflicting goals or motivations. Impossible decisions are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love complex characters. And since people have conflicting motives, I don't see why characters wouldn't too! Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you're having fun writing these two characters -- which is always a good thing!

    Ronel visiting for #IWSG day: Help Me, Please!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.
    I think a character can have conflicting motives. Complex characters make a story more entertaining when done well. Sounds like you have something special here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Complexity and conflicting can make or break a character. Have to do it right or not at all. There is no middle ground. Go big and take your time to get the balance right and you'll have a winning character(s).

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like complicated characters. Congrats on your progress. Happy IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That sounds very intense! Do you keep notes to remind yourself who's who and what's what?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Complex characters are so important! They're more real that way. Whoever met a human being in real life who was always easy to understand?

    Best of luck with Chapter 26.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know what you mean. It's hard enough to figure out our own motivations sometimes. I think it's good to try and "talk to" those characters one-on-one sometimes, take them out of the situation and then put them back in, when hopefully it'll make more sense. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete