07 August 2019

Full of Surprises

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


I'm on vacation from work so that means I can visit many many blogs today at a reasonable hour. It also means I'm going to actually try to get some writing done. I mean, yesterday was my lazy recovery day and today is blogging day, so...


I'm still working on Chapter 27. Actually, I haven't been working on it much at all. I don't know the exact reason. I just haven't felt like it. Maybe writing Chapter 26 took a lot out of me, but I think it's been way too long for that to still be an excuse. I guess I'm just having a motivation problem. I know everything that needs to happen in this chapter, so it's not like I have anything to figure out. I just have to actually make with the words.

Well, since I'm not at work this week, I can't use being tired as an excuse. Bring on the words!

Onto this month's optional question: Has your writing ever taken you by surprise? For example, a positive and belated response to a submission you'd forgotten about or an ending you never saw coming?

Uhh, literally everything? Seriously, go tell my teenage self about the story I'm writing. She'll think you're crazy, and she'll wonder where the vampires are.

Sometimes I'm surprised by random lines, like there's no way I could have come up with them on my own (because Jordan is writing the book, not me, duh). There's one in particular that always comes to mind, but it involves a bad word. Well, ok. I took "whatever floats your boat" but replaced "boat" with a male body part. One of the many lines that I didn't write. And yes, I know that makes it not rhyme anymore. It still works, trust me.

My biggest surprise is actually my entire idea for Book 3. It involves something that I swore would never happen. I'm so secretive about it, which I know is silly since I haven't even published Book 1, but I am keeping this concept locked up in my brain. I did tell my husband, but he probably forgot. When I first got the idea, I thought, wait, this wasn't supposed to happen. But the more I thought about it, the more I fell in love with the idea.

So if I ever finish this book, maybe someday I'll get to that surprise book idea.

32 comments:

  1. Love this - "Bring on the words!"

    Hope you're enjoying your time off work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my teenage self could see the books I write today, she would be horrified. Cozy mysteries - how boring!

    Enjoy your time off work and I hope the words flow easily and freely for you.

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a break from work is exactly what you needed to get the creativity flowing! Chapter 27 will happen. Usually when you walk away for a time, the words start to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love when the story twists in unexpected directions!
    My teenage self would be surprised as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of surprises for you.
    Trust me, your husband has forgotten...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing is much like role-playing. Once it begins, who knows where it will lead. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I'm staring down chapter 27 in my story, too. Sometimes I think knowing exactly what's going to happen actually stymies me more - like, there's nothing exciting or new to look forward to. But I bet your characters will manage to surprise you along the way of getting those words out. Good luck writing TOMORROW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had lines characters say surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've currently got one of those chapters that I just need to get done. Nothing really challenging about doing it, other than just DOING IT.

    Hope you have a productive writing time and good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always an adventure to be a pantser. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when my characters are clever like that! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those surprise book ideas. And those surprise lines that just come out of my characters' mouths that make even my jaw drop.

    I'm super secretive about my Book Three too.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing what comes out of our heads. A constant surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we keep those ideas secret because letting them out in the world might dilute them. Others will chime in with opinions and reactions, and these still-to-be-born creatures are rather fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great that you have good (and secret) surprises. Good luck with your next chapter. Knowing what you want to happen is a big help when you sit down to work on it. It always helps me to write new chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, do male body parts float? Sounds like a delicious secret for book three!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The surprises make it all the more fun, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you have a surprise book idea! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now you have to write it because we/I want to know your surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes! Vacation is the best time for writing!
    I love it when my writing surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We'll all be eager for the surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't you love it when imagination spontaneously combusts!? Characters say and do the darnedest things with or without your help. Sometimes it feels like you're just along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you're able to write up a storm during your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's cool to have the idea way ahead of time. Hope your time off helps you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Writing, Happy Vacation and Happy IWSG! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Best of luck with your vacation writing.
    I wish I'd written a bunch of books before publishing the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will wait but it better be a really good surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I spent the last three nights trying to write the final three chapters. I would stare at the screen and wait for some impressive words to enter my brain. I mean, I can see in my brain how it ends, but I needed the words. Words that didn't want to show up. So, I just started writing it out without worrying about it being prosy or impressive- hell, it might be as awful as a kindergartener's masterpiece, but it's on the page. In a few days, I'll that that crap and see if it can grow something better. I'll say it again- write the crap. Crap is good fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've found that too - with a series, it's really hard to predict what'll happen in later books, despite trying to plan. Hope the writing is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great feeling to know where your series is going--to have that secret that nobody knows...or will guess. Sort of like how J.K. Rowling wrote Snape. She did such a great job keeping his real role secret. Have a great month writing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Since my writing muse is not speaking to me, I'm just taking all my frustrations out on the weeds. Hopefully I can settle down and get back to writing when the kids go back to school. That's the plan, anyway.

    ReplyDelete