03 June 2020

Real Life Gets in the Way

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


This month's optional question is: Writers have secrets! What are one or two of yours, something readers would never know from your work?

I don't *think* I have any real secrets. If they were reading Jordan's book, they may be surprised that I am literally his polar opposite. No idea how that guy came out of a shy nervous wreck's brain. Actually, I think this works more in reverse. If a lot of the people I know in real life read what I wrote, they wouldn't believe I wrote it. Plot, characters, genre, language--all of it. They never would have guessed this was what I was writing.

Well, I gotta be honest, I haven't been doing much writing lately. I really was on a roll for a while, mostly with editing UL (since I still haven't quite figured out those last two chapters...). But real life kinda slapped me in the face and I've got some health issues to deal with now. I started having pain in my head, right where I had a shunt put in when I was an infant. It's never hurt me my whole life so I knew something was wrong. And trying to get to a doctor right now is a PROCESS, let me tell you. The good news was that it got me to get a physical for the first time since I was a teenager (yeah, I'm one of those people who avoids the doctor until absolutely necessary). I have a virtual appointment with a neurosurgeon on Friday. I'm just really worried because I'm sure if something is wrong, I'll most likely need surgery. But one thing at a time, right?

I've just been really exhausted lately between being in pain and my anxiety going through the roof pretty much nonstop, plus still working at a hospital full time. So my writing hasn't even been on my mind. I kinda wish it was because I could use the distraction, but I just don't think my brain works that way. When I'm worried or dreading something, that's all I can think about.

This afternoon I'm getting together with some coworkers for some kind of social-distancing-around-the-pool-party, so that should be fun, at least. I may be late getting around to other blogs (unless your post is up at 4 AM EST because I try to read some before work like the psycho that I am). Hope everyone is doing well!

14 comments:

  1. I make myself go get a physical every year even though I dread it so I hear you. Fingers crossed you're feeling less pain and much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're getting that checked out! I'm sending hugs and positive vibes your way. If you need to chat/vent send me a DM any time. Hope things start looking up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was switching doctors right before the pandemic but just had a virtual appointment with my new doctor. Glad you are getting your medical condition looked into. Just take it one step at a time. Don't beat yourself up about not writing when you're working full-time and not feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you got a physical! Prayers that it is the best-case scenario for you. Yes, getting to see a doctor now is a process and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about what you're going through. Hopefully you won't need surgery. Based on my past experience, they usually try to avoid surgery and propose alternatives, such as medication, first. I hope that everything will turn out okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm learning quickly that physicals are important as I get older. I operate in a similar way as you, stress is a creation killer for me. Hope you find answers and good news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you have some fun planned for the day and I hope you get answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day at a time - can't worry about what might not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had a couple of social distancing gatherings. So far, so good. We all need friendship, good conversations, and laughter. Especially now with all that is happening in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's scary with the head pain. I'm glad you've got an appointment though! I hope you're having fun at your social-distancing-party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what makes writing so much fun! I love to write about characters who aren't like me or who do and say things I wish I could do or say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you feel better soon. Getting together with friends will lift your spirits. Writing can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your virtual appointment goes well and your party's fun. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would avoid doctors forever and always if it wasn't for all the crappy health problems I have. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

    ReplyDelete