07 September 2022

Up for (Almost) Anything

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


Would you believe I completely forgot to do my IWSG last month?? Actually, what really happened is that I completely lost track of the days. I was on my break at work scrolling on my phone that day when I saw the IWSG Facebook post and went, "OOPS!" I could have tried to put something together after work, but I didn't think it would be worth it at that point. 

Oh well, I am here now! 

This month's optional question is: What genre would be the worst one for you to tackle and why?

I've switched back and forth between many genres ever since I first started writing, so there isn't a lot of genres I'd be too afraid to try. But for some reason, I've always been a bit wary of historical fiction. I feel like with any story, there is already so much research that you have to do to make certain things accurate, and adding on that layer of getting everything about the time and setting correct just seems overwhelming. But if the right story idea hit me, I'd try anything! 

Not much going on as far as writing goes. Hubby and I are going to New York City next week for our anniversary. I haven't been there since my 30th birthday over five years ago, so I'm excited. We've got a lot planned so it should be a fun week. We're going to a nice dinner and then to a rooftop bar on our anniversary, but we're also going to a musical, a cat cafe, a taping of The Tonight Show, and our main event, a Harry Styles concert. And we're gonna eat a lot. But hopefully all the walking will help burn all those calories. 

9 comments:

  1. A lot of people said they wouldn't write historical fiction due to the research. Have a great trip for your anniversary. It sounds like a lot of un.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading and watching historical fiction books and movies. I would love to write one, but, like you said, there is sooo much research involved.
    I haven't been to NYC in ages either. Have a fun-filled, memorable anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries about missing one posting.
    A taping of The Tonight Show? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I hope you have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! The Tonight Show taping would be a blast!!
    Historical fiction would be a no-go for me. I'm not that detail oriented and would definitely include some anachronisms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary and have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been wary of historical fiction, too, because of the research angle. I think I'm waaaaaay too lazy to do it properly.

    Enjoy your trip—I hope you have an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The amount of research involved for a historical fiction is quite intimidating. I wrote a historical fiction once, and I'm deeply unsatisfied with it because of just how much I failed to find out before I wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! Have a fun trip. I don't think I can do historical fiction. Too many things to get accurate to actually make it decent enough to read, let alone make it interesting :o

    ReplyDelete