07 June 2023

Creative Slump

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


This month's optional question is: If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with?

That's an interesting question for me, considering the fact that I haven't properly written anything in a few years. I've done some editing, some brainstorming, a note here and there, but no real writing for quite some time now. That isn't to say that I've made a choice to "stop" writing, exactly. It's more like a creative pause. 

So, since I'm not actually writing, what have I replaced it with? Well...not much, really. Writing has always been my main creative outlet, and while I have had other interests, they mostly turn out to be temporary or just an idea that is never brought to fruition. I tried getting to jewelry making for a bit, but haven't committed to it as much as I'd like (especially considering the amount of beads I bought....). I made a few bracelets for myself but then didn't try anything for awhile until I made a bunch for my niece last Christmas: 


So at this point, it's just an occasional hobby. Nothing ever seems to keep my interest like writing has in the past. I like watching movies, but I don't think I'd be good as a reviewer. I've thought about starting a Youtube channel, but I'm too shy and don't have a good idea what my focus should be. I have started using TikTok, but I've only made a few videos so far. I have interests and small ideas, but nothing major to fill the void of writing. 

You could say I've been in a creative slump. I've also been in a reading slump, which is probably related. Or both slumps are influencing each other, since usually reading inspires me to write. I think I got discouraged when I read too many heavy, long novels in a row, then wanted to read a light, fluffy, romance to break things up, and the one I chose was SO BAD that I had no idea what I wanted to read anymore. 

I do have a few new books lined up that I hope will get me back into reading more. And possibly even inspire me to get back into writing. Maybe even get back to Uneven Lines? I know, now I'm talking crazy. But as I always say to myself, one thing at a time. 

13 comments:

  1. I've thought about making jewelry too but not pursued it. And I've gone through years where I haven't written much and then have come back to it. I hope you let yourself read whatever you want for the enjoyment of it so you get back into your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bracelets are pretty. I love simple beaded bracelets like that.

    I can't read too many heavy things in a row. I certainly don't write heavy - my romances are fairly light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through a creative writing slump for years. It did come back though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed jewelry making when I did it. Your bracelets are pretty! I can't say I've ever been in a creative slump as I have a few different things I like to make. It's usually one creative thing at a time. Right now, I'm in a reading slump too, but I think it's more decision paralysis. There's so many books to read and I don't know which one to pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm starting to believe slumps happen. Slumps seem to happen especially often during times of high stress. Maybe there's something else that's depleting you? (though... I confess, I went through that jewelry-making faze too; do you need anymore Tiger tail?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading and writing are linked for me as well. I hope you find your way out of your slump!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's discouraging to get a book that was so bad. I had one like that and it was traditionally published. Ugh!

    Good luck finding your way out of your slump!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative slumps definitely happen. For me, they usually happen when I'm not getting enough input in my life. It's why during covid, even though I had plenty of time to write, I just couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it's good to take a break. You'll find that after time, something inspires you to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not crazy at all. I think all of us are or have been fighting to get that book written. Your bracelets are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sometimes you need a creative pause to be able to move forward. Your bracelets are pretty. I agree that a reading slump can effect your writing. I'm working hard to get out and stay out of a reading slump. I like your outlook, "one thing at a time."

    ReplyDelete