04 October 2023

Maybe AI Can Finish My Book...

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!


This month's optional question is: The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?

I think what worries me about AI is that if it is developed enough to create books, TV shows, films, etc. large publishers and production companies would not hestitate to use these instead of paying writers. I know this topic was part of the recent writer's strike. But like the question said, AI should be used to help writers, not replace them. If this is the only way it gets used, I would consider it a good thing. But I worry that won't always be the case.

On the other hand, I've actually been contemplating using AI to help me figure out my book. Or at least to have a funny story about AI helping me to finish my book. I thought I could have AI read my novel so far and prompt it to finish the book. I'm a little lost with how to end my book and also struggling with one of the subplots, so I could try a few different prompts to give. 

I figure this could go one of three ways:

1. AI does a great job and completely solves all my writing problems

2. It doesn't come up with anything I can use but helps me narrow in on what I actually need (this kind of thing happens when I've asked my husband for ideas and I hate them, but they somehow help me come up with the right idea on my own lol)

3. AI has no idea what to do with my book and it's a laughable catastrophe that I can make a TikTok about (and I do need to make more writing TikToks!)

I figure there's no down side. Worst case scenario I'll just be exactly where I am right now. I believe Chat GPT can do this sort of thing but I haven't researched it much beyond a couple Google searches. But I think it would be at least a humorous experiment if nothing else. Who knows?

8 comments:

  1. I think you should try using AI to get unstuck in your writing. Think of it as a springboard that you use as a tool and then you can use your writing skills to tell your story the way you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it a try! Even if you can't use what it suggests, it might help you see a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see publishers trying to save money by using AI to write books, but I can't say if that will be profitable in the long run as no matter how good AI gets, it won't ever have the creative spark humans have. That will always be missing from what it writes.

    You might as well give it a try and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see using it to try getting unstuck, but from my experience with trying it out on shorter things, you'll still have a big job of revising it to make it truly something you love. It creates a hollow sort of writing, but it uses good structure, so... helpful, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing to lose and you might get some great ideas from the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's a tool. It's there for every writer to use as they see fit. If it sparks off something that unlocks the ending to your book, then why not? I would caution that it's probably best seen as a prompt, though, rather than solving any and all problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd go for it. Then let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, if it helps, then that'd be awesome. AI is a tool, so might as well use it as one.

    ReplyDelete