05 November 2014

Finding the Passion

Hello, everyone! Today is the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! I'm feeling extra insecure so I fit right in. Check out Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog to learn more and join in.

First Wed of Every Month

I'll keep this post brief because I'm feeling beyond lousy. I have a cold whose main symptom is a constant headache. And we have to take Gizmo back to the vet later today for the FOURTH time. It's very frustrating when he keeps getting sick. Hopefully they can finally put a stop to it.

So I could talk about how I gave up on my NaNoWriMo book before I even started it, but I'm not really all that upset about it, honestly. I don't think I had planned this particular story well enough to bust it out in a month. Besides life getting in the way of my writing time, I just wasn't feeling it.

I feel like I have such a hard time being passionate about my writing lately. When I first started my novel, it was all I could think about. I couldn't do anything but write. Sometimes I forgot to eat. If I could write like I did back then I would be busting out two novels a month. But I just don't feel that way anymore.

I know everyone has said just to put it aside for a while, but the thing is, I have. I haven't looked at my book in over two months. I really want to work on it, but I also don't want to even look at it. Maybe it's because I know editing it is going to be hard. Maybe it's because I feel like no one is going to like my book, or they're going to take it the wrong way. I'm sick of not working on it, but I don't know how to start.

I guess I'll just take it one step at a time. I've had a couple more people offer to beta read for me, which I think will help. I just have to merge some of the edits I've already made with the last complete draft I have before I send it out. My editing draft is an absolute mess and there are a bunch of holes in it, but I also don't really want people to read the second draft as it is. I've got to tweak a few things first. But I will get it out there!

That wasn't brief at all, was it? Oh well. Time for some tea and aspirin.

17 comments:

  1. Kick back, relax, take that asprin, and feel better. I have many of the same issues as yourself, particularly that hesitation or fear about getting started. Once I'm sit down and start working through the edits I'm fine, and can lose myself in the work, but forcing myself to sit down is my challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I would hate revising my novel. Really, really hate it. Surprise! Not so much. I let it set for a while (not as long as you, but still...) and then I started to read. It was God-awful terrible. My intention was to read the whole thing and then go back and edit. It was so bad, I couldn't do it. I began editing right away. You see, I learned so much by the time I finished compared to when I started!!! I cannot tell you how many revisions this baby has seen, but each one makes the story better. My suggestion: put off those beta readers until you revise it to the point that you think it's pretty darn good. Then let them read and tell you what does/doesn't work. You will be thrilled with what they like and have time to think about what they don't. How can I change this so that they get what they want without comprising my story? You will find a way!!! I think when you get back into it, you WILL get excited again. Just my two cents... Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really hard to do anything, especially anything creative, when you're feeling physically lousy and kind of mentally/emotionally down. Maybe let your body heal and the mental/emotional state will follow suit? Sending good thoughts your way....

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get to feeling better soon (and Gizmo too)!

    Are you one of those people who can turn off their inner editor? Maybe just reading through your story for the enjoyment of it will ignite the passion for it again. Of course, if you can't turn it off, then it might just frustrate you more. Maybe some freewriting? Let Jordan fill up a journal or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, it was brief, which is great for IWSG, so good job!

    We all go through those horror-slumps that mask themselves as not wanting to look at our WIPs. You really just have to push through it and do it (I didn't mean to rhyme). It's mind over matter when you hit this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Gizmo! Get to feeling better, buddy.

    Slumps are a writer's constant companion. When I find myself losing interest or motivation I start thinking up ideas for a new story, only to have the old one get jealous and call me back. You'll come through this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to write when you don't feel well. I totally get it. I had one book I wrote that I hated. HATED. So why did I keep writing it? Because everyone loved the concept. I kept getting pushed into it. I finished the dang thing and left it to sit there. Every now and then my mind goes back to that story, and I don't shudder as badly as I used to. In fact, I think given another three or four years, I might be ready to revise it. ;) Some books need more time than others.

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your beta readers can help recharge your interest in the story. My CPs often do for me. But as others have said, when you don't feel well, it's hard to feel enthusiastic about much of anything. Take care of yourself and find some outlet to feed your creative self, whether it's watching great movies, making art, or just coloring like a 6-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better - and Gizmo, too. It stinks when you don't feel inspired. I'm in that place right now, too, and I'm doing the best i can to work through it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My best advice is to do the things you know will help recharge your batteries, whether that be sleep, TV, walking in nature, reading, time with loved ones, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! I'm stuck for the same reasons, specifically I'm convinced it will be hated . . . ah well :(

    Best of luck to Gizmo and hugs to you both! And good luck getting into tweaking and yes, you WILL get it out there!

    S.K. Anthony: My Writing Quirks—IWSG (16)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you're still sick. :( About your WIP...have you tried working on something different? If you have another story idea to work on that might bring your passion back to write.

    I hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all authors go through a dry spell upon occasion. Just read for pleasure and don't pressure yourself. The writing will come again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's hard psyching yourself up to write when you feel lousy. Take your aspirin, make your tea, wrap yourself up in granny's afghan, and lose yourself in a book that's so well-written that you're inspired to follow suit when you feel better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! Knock that off! Of course we want to read it.
    Make a plan. 1 page a day. 2 pages a day. Whatever you need. Get started. Before you know it there will be a dent and then after the dent you will reach half. I think you know what happens after the half!
    You can do it!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I could accomplish much of anything when sick. Plus having a sick cat? Not fun. Get better and then worry about the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think getting a test reader's input would really help. They could give you some suggestions and ideas and spark your interest again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think we get discouraged and fall out of the habit, which makes it really hard to jump back in no matter how much we want to. And not feeling well doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete