05 April 2023

Make a Schedule

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's the posting day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Click here to learn more and sign up!

This month's optional question is: Do you remember writing your first book? What were your thoughts about a career path on writing? Where are you now and how is it working out for you? If you're at the start of the journey, what are your goals?

Actually, that's four questions!

My very first book was a picture book that I wrote when I was 8 years old. I wasn't thinking too far ahead about a writing career at that point, but I knew that I loved to come up with stories and wanted to write them down. As I got older and started writing novels, I knew that this was what I wanted to do. 

I would love to be a full time writer and completely support myself through writing. Unfortunately, that's not where I am at this point in my life, and my day job does take up a lot of my energy, making it difficult to make time for writing. I've also been in a creative slump for quite some time which has also kept me far from completing any of my writing goals. 

I think my main goal right now, one that I can actually accomplish in the near future, is to create a writing schedule for myself. I want to mainly focus on Uneven Lines, of course, but I'd also like to give some time to other book ideas I've come up with, especially ones that I feel I can write a lot faster and maybe actually have a chance of publishing. 

So creating some kind of schedule for myself along with a list of the projects I want to work on is my main writing goal for this month. I'm hoping just to get to a point where I'm writing consistently again. Then maybe I'll be able to see some kind of career in the future. 

15 comments:

  1. You'll make progress if you even schedule 30 minutes to an hour some days of the week. Having a job that supports you is really important, and sometimes writing has to be on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A schedule will greatly help. I need one when I am working on a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of a writing career when I first started writing, either. It was just a fun thing I liked to do. I really don't remember when that changed.

    I've needed a writing schedule at various times because I had a lot of balls in the air, so it was helpful to carve out whatever time I could because it was the only way I would get to write anything at all. At one point, it was during a 15-minute break at work. It wasn't much, but it helped. I hope you're able to find some time that'll help you get where you want to go with your writing.

    (And no pressure, but I am really looking forward to getting to read UL & Sexy Fluff one day!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to schedule writing time or it gets bumped to the end of the list as I tend to focus on other DLP items first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always tough when life interrupts what we actually want to do. I hope the slump eases up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found having a schedule for my writing to be helpful. I even wrote one out like I would if was making a schedule for the day job I had at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I retired recently, but haven't found the additional hours have translated into more writing productivity. I may need to force myself into a schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great goal. I am recreating my schedule this month, because I went through a bit of life events BW and AW (Before Wedding and After Wedding) as a mother of the bride and I really started thinking about what I wanted my "legacy" to be like which sounds a bit grandiose, but also even if my "legacy" is small, I hope it will be meaningful and manageable within the context of a full life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creating a writing schedule sounds doable. Go for it. Maybe I'll join you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't say I schedule but I start my day at my computer with a full coffee cup nearby. Somehow, things get put down. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good plan to me - one step at a time and you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scheduling time to create a schedule. It never ends, does it? I'm at roughly the same place you are - trying to re-define the time of day where I write, and removing all the distractions therein. Good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really helped me to sit down and jot all of the novel ideas floating in my head to decide what order to go in. I know that a daily-type schedule wouldn't work for me, but just being able to focus on one thing at a time is a huge help for me. I hope you can create the type of schedule that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are very organized. I've tried making a schedule for my writing, and I've failed each time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need a schedule too. I always let writing take the first thing to be put on the backburner.

    ReplyDelete