22 September 2014

Underrated Treasures Blogfest

Today I get to take a break from all the doom and gloom and write about something I really love. Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting the Underrated Treasures Blogfest.


Everyone has a favorite movie or band that no one else has ever heard about. For whatever reason, they remain undiscovered and underrated. Now is your chance to tell the world about this obscure treasure!

Today, September 22, post about your favorite unknown –

MOVIE – BAND/ARTIST – TV SHOW – BOOK

Post about one or all four – dealer’s choice!

I was all over this one because I always feel that when people ask me about my favorite musicians, authors, actors, etc., I get a puzzled look with an exaggerated "WHO?!" And then I have to tell them something that they would know this person from. I decided to only pick one for the blogfest, because I felt the need to not have my post go on for days. And also because I can blame most of my obsessions on this man.

But first I'm going to bring you back to 1996 (when I was 9), because I know you remember this song...



If I had to pick a favorite musician, it would hands down be Duncan Sheik. I think the man is a genius. Honestly. Most people only know him from the one hit wonder that is "Barely Breathing," but I'm not really here to talk about something you already know. UNLESS, you're also a Broadway nut like myself, then you probably know him because of THIS...

Which I could really talk about for days (like how I still listen to the cast recording on a regular basis, my ridiculous obsession with the original cast, and so on...). I find a hard time picking a favorite movie, TV show, book, but favorite musical? Spring Awakening trumps any favorite thing I've ever had. I'm eternally obsessed with it, and I only went to see it because Duncan Sheik composed the music for it. But I'm not going to talk about that, either (Ow! My heart...). You should know, however, that Sheik has two Tonys and a Grammy because of it, so if you still think of him as a one hit wonder, you shouldn't feel too bad. 

What you probably don't know is that Duncan Sheik has released seven albums, all of which I adore. When "Barely Breathing" was first released, my sister and I were obsessed with it. I remember running into her room one morning and telling her how I had learned more of the lyrics by watching the video with the closed captioning on. For a few years I didn't really keep up with him, well, because I wasn't even a preteen and I was obsessed with the Spice Girls, but anyway, my sister always kept the love alive. She bought all of his albums, occasionally playing a song for me.

When I was 15 and actually started to develop a taste in music, my sister burned me a copy of Sheik's fourth album, Daylight. That was when the obsession started to kick in. It's still my favorite album of his overall--like if I could only pick a few CDs to take with me on a deserted island, this would be one of them. After that, I kept track of everything new he released, especially after my sister took me to see him in concert when I was 19. I've seen him two more times, most recently at 54 Below in NYC last year, which was AWESOME. He performed a lot of musical songs including three from Spring Awakening, as well as some of my favorites of his songs. 

So whenever there are blogfests like this I tend to go on and on, so I'll try to wrap it up. I'm going to share my top five Duncan Sheik songs...which was really hard for me to pick! Surprisingly, no songs off Daylight are actually on my list, I think because it's hard for me to pick just one. The first two are from his first album (self-titled), "Alibi" is from his second, Humming. "Mr. Chess" is from Phantom Moon, his third album, and "Stripped" is from his most recent album, Covers 80's (it's a cover of a Depeche Mode song). 


23 comments:

  1. I have heard barely breathing, but not the other songs. I didn't realize he had seven albums! I'm listening to your playlist now. I might have to do some YouTube hunting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Duncan Sheik. Really good choice. I agree. Totally underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that "Barely Breathing" song! I had no idea he did so much other stuff....

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice! Thanks for sharing this music with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny talented folks that get tossed aside from the garbage that is produced today... he will have that moment in the sun again.

    Jeremy [Retro]
    Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember his big hit and I think it's awesome he is doing Broadway work. Diverse talent. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love Spring Awakening. I totally should have said that one. Excellent choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the song "Barely Breathing" but I'm ashamed to say (for someone who still rocks out to 90's music practically every day) that I don't know any other music from Duncan Sheik. Well, I'm going to change that now. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never heard of Duncan Sheik, which I'm assuming means he's never charted in the UK. I have your playlist going as I type. I like! Thank you for sharing.

    P.s. I hadn't used Spotify until today. Another thing for me to discover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard of him, but didn't realize he had so many albums.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of him, but he's got a great voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son is a fan, so I know of his work, but didn't realize he didn't have more recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Barely Breathing" is a wonderful song and Sheik is a fine artist. I have a couple of his CD's.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always like Barely Breathing! Time to add it to my iTunes list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barely Breathing is a great song. Mellow and relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I listened to Barely Breathing and it is quite good but try as I might, I can't recall hearing it before...my error:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm familiar with Duncan Sheik and his "Barely Breathing" song, but not anything else of his. He is an underrated gem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a good song. I'll have to listen to some of the other ones. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm familiar with Duncan Sheik. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This IS a fun fest :) Thanks for introducing me to more than Barely Breathing - and I didn't realize he composed Spring Awakening!!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Indeed- I do remember that song! Good pick for the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Barely Breathing. Great song. I had no idea Sheik had so many other songs.

    ReplyDelete