29 June 2015

Too Tired to Function

I know my last blog post was a cop out, and well, this one kind of is too. But I have a good excuse (I think...). I'm just way too tired and I've got unpacking and cleaning and dishes to do (more dishes???!!!!). So my brain just isn't working.

Well, my weekend in New York was pretty much a complete disaster. The weather was not on our side and I definitely overestimated how many blocks I can walk in high heels. So even with umbrellas I still ended up looking like a drowned rat (why exactly did I bother doing my hair??). And I destroyed my feet. I was in so much pain on the walk back to our hotel that I had to give in and take off my shoes. Yup, that's right. I walked about 3 blocks in NYC with nothing but tights on my feet. In the rain. I regret nothing.

Don't even get me started on the bus rides. I feel like I never want to take the bus again, even though I've done it so many times before. The way there took an hour longer than it should have. And on the way home there was a crazy woman who started screaming at the driver (don't know what happened to upset her since we were near the back of the bus) and he had to pull over on the highway to get her to stop. She was swearing at him and there were kids on the bus. Don't get me wrong, I swear all the time, just not in front of children. Or out in public at all, really.

Literally the only good thing about the trip was seeing the musical. Probably half because my favorite actor was in it and half because I got to sit down for two hours. No seriously. You should see my blisters. If the weather had been better and if we had more time to, I don't know, BREATHE, this would have been a better trip. I don't think I want to take any more trips for a while.

What did everyone else do this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. The lesson is simple. Next time take walking shoes and when you get to your destination THEN put on your heels. :) It seems to have been a true New York experience. Cussing mad woman and all. All of it fodder for stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Hang in there - your feet will heal. And like Bish said above, all fodder for stories. And don't forget characters - the woman on the bus should make an appearance somewhere on a page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember when you were a kid, you could run in high heels. Pumps can be good for walking but as my fashionista sista says, they are matronly. I've worn pumps since my twenties. As a teacher, I was required to wear dress shoes. Now some tennis shoes are made to look like dress shoes. The things we women do to look good. I hope your feet are better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High heels? Oh man, I am so happy I'm old. When I hit the age of 30, I decided comfort trumped style. Yes, I know, that's sort of like raising the white flag on fashion, but I've been there, done that misery of walking in improper footware. I found a line of orthopedic flip flops that I love (Gosh, I sound soooo old!!). They are cute, but have arch support, so I can walk miles in them pain free.

    Or carry the heels in a bag, walk in tennis shoes, and change when you get there.

    I'm guilty of a potty mouth too, but like you- I try to keep it under control and respectful. The lady was probably a bit on the crazy side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your feet! Brake to walk barefoot in New York. And buses are hell on wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh no - this is why I rarely wear heels anymore! My mum despairs whenever she sees me in my converse, but at least they're comfy! I'm currently trying to figure out a way I can get away with NOT wearing heels for my own wedding...hope your feet feel better sooon! Glad you enjoyed the musical at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't walk anywhere in high heels. I couldn't even walk around my neighborhood in flip flops. I ended up walking back home bare footed.

    I also swear like a sailor. Generally not in front of kids, but there have been some slips.

    Glad the musical was good, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had been through all of that, I would be too tired to function too!

    Sorry that your weekend was a disaster. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eesh, just reading that makes me feel tired. Get some blankies and tea and have a nice long rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. Hope your feet have recovered - although it's a good excuse for a pedicure. At least the play was good :-)

    ReplyDelete