11 December 2013

Post 98: My Book Blurb

Ok, bear with me, people. I'm actually typing this post on my phone, which I've never done before. I had to be at work at 7, but now have nothing to do until 11. Don't ask. But I didn't feel like putting this off until tonight, so here we are. If I can get through it without a typo, it'll be a miracle.

I came to realize that "synopsis" was not the right word for what I wanted to share with you guys. I wasn't planning on writing pages and pages of summary, or on giving away any spoilers. What I really wanted to share was a blurb. I know I said I wanted to carefully craft this, but really I've just scribbled it out over the past hour or so. I'm a procrastinator, ok? So obviously it's not back-of-the-book ready or anything (it's too long, for one thing), but I think it's decent enough so that I can share it with you.

And this is mostly for everyone who's ever asked "what's your book about??" Like my boss this morning. And I avoided the question as usual. So without further ado, here is my not-so perfect blurb for Uneven Lines:

If there's one thing Jordan hates, it's being bored. Right now, two things are boring him to death--girls and geometry. Since he's not quite ready to ask out a guy, he has to find other ways to amuse himself. His plans to fail math class just for fun backfire when his mostly absent mother hires a math tutor. It's not all bad, though--Tom is really cute, and most importantly, not boring. Turns out he has a few secrets of his own, and eventually the two can't deny the fact that they're both attracted to each other. Since Tom is nearly twice Jordan's age, he's certain that they can't do anything about it. But Jordan is always up for a challenge. He develops a plan to keep their relationship in check--because it isn't really a relationship at all. It becomes more of an arrangement, where Tom gives Jordan whatever he wants in exchange for any physical acts, all the while keeping the boundaries in place so that certain lines will never be crossed. It's fun at first, but they find those boundaries need to be stretched until they break. Everything comes into question, and they no longer know what their relationship is or what they want from each other. Finding the answer may be impossible.

Woo, so there it is! It's like bearing my soul. Be sure to come back on Friday for The Dialogue Awards, which should be really fun. Then, of course, the 100th post on Sunday! I should probably work on those facts...

10 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job. I get a clear cut picture of what's going on in the story, as well as the tension coming across well. Plus, I'm always intrigued by age difference stories. I mean, I robbed the cradle... Lol! Not really, my husband's only two years younger than me. Tho I hate I'll be in my thirties for two years b4 he joins me- not fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I've always had a thing for forbidden love stories. My boyfriend is 2 1/2 years older than me, so I have the opposite problem.

      Delete
  2. I really like it! The whole thing screams conflict, but doesn't give much away. And it's nice to finally know what your book is about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know I'm usually the queen of vagueness...

      Delete
  3. This is a great blurb! Definitely got my interest. I think blurbs are so hard to write, I'm impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And this was only my first try--I'm glad you thought it was good. :)

      Delete
  4. Great blurb, interesting and intriguing. Blurbs are hard, but you nailed it :-)

    ReplyDelete