19 December 2014

Deja Vu Blogfest: When Do You Hold Back?

Today is the Deja Vu Blogfest! Hosted by DL Hammons and Nicole Zoltack. The idea is to re-post your favorite blog post from earlier in the year, or one you thought didn't get enough attention. This was a tricky one for me. I decided to go way back to the beginning of the year and pick a post I liked that also wasn't too popular. I decided on this one because not only do I find it amusing, but it also addresses a topic that I still struggle with. My opening paragraph offended somebody who read it (so obviously they didn't make it to the second chapter), but I'm starting to wonder if that's a bad thing...

Anyhoo, here it is (from January 13): When Do You Hold Back? 

I read somewhere once that a character should not masturbate in the first three chapters of a book. Too bad that's exactly how I start Chapter Two!

There's a time and place for everything, but how exactly do you figure that out when writing a novel? I've been struggling a bit with my opening line to the second chapter, since I love it but it also kind of worries me: "I didn't like jerking off, but sometimes it was necessary." I like it, it fits the voice, but is it too much to open a chapter with? Are my readers going to laugh or be disgusted?

Well, I suppose anyone who's disgusted by that line should know that it only gets worse and probably shouldn't have picked up my book in the first place. But for those who really are interested in this particular story, is a line like this going to scare them off? When is it ok to be completely inappropriate?

I guess it depends on the story you're writing. And it's not just about vulgarity, either. You have to make sure every moment, every sentence, even, fits in with the overall tone and voice of your book. There are times when you can be subtle, and there can be times that make your reader gasp. You really need both to have a good balance. But I think the question that's really been on my mind lately is, should you ever hold something back in your book because you think it's too over the top?

I think I've already answered that question. It all depends on the story you're writing. And on the scene you're writing, actually. The reader is going to be able to tell if a moment, or even a single word, doesn't fit with the rest of the scene. It will take them out of the book for a moment, make them realize it isn't real. And you don't want that. So it's not even about holding back, it's about being genuine. Yes, I start the second chapter of my book with my narrator talking about masturbation. But he's a fifteen-year-old boy with a new crush. What else would he be doing? It's real, so I think it works, the weak-nerved reader be damned!

So mix it up a little. If the reader needs to be punched in the face, then you should punch them in the face. If your characters swear, and it fits your genre, then let them be who they are and talk how they want to talk. Of course, you don't want to overdo it. Every word has to be carefully planned out. It has to be necessary. You don't want swearing just for the sake of swearing. You want your characters to have real voices. Know what works for them and for the story. Never hold back just because you think you should. Hold back only when the story needs it.

19 comments:

  1. Great post, Sarah. I struggle with this kind of thing on a regular basis. I think the key is to make sure anything that might be considered salacious or inappropriate is absolutely necessary in the scene. I think you need to stay true to your character more than anything else.
    Elizabeth Hein - Scribbling in the Storage Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've struggled with this before in poetry and prose writing. I lost a few friends in college for tackling a tough subject in a poem and decided that they weren't really friends to begin with - or at least not good ones. I'm not a huge fan of swearing, but I have read novels where it fits the character and it isn't over-done. And, I know that there are readers who need books with tough subject matter and language in it because it's where they're at. Readers might get offended, but then, readers can get offended over just about anything. I've written a few Christian fantasy novels and had readers offended over my strong heroines, but the reason I wrote strong heroines is that I find them lacking in most Christian fantasy novels. I get tired of the guy always saving the day, not that guys can't save the day now and then, but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When is it ok to be completely inappropriate?"

    In my mind...if you are writing for a specific target audience and your voice is consistent throughout, then there is no such thing as inappropriate. Thank you for re-sharing this today. Excellent topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it -- it depends on the story, the scene, and the character. And what you as the writer are really trying to do. Your character may masturbate but is it vital to the story or to reveal character? He probably took a crap within the last day, too, but does that really need to be shared with the reader also?

    If the intent is merely to shock the reader, appear "edgy" or cool as a writer, or for any other reason that to honestly and precisely reveal character and/or plot, it doesn't need to be there. In other words -- Just be sure it's not really the author who's masturbating.

    But if it's truly a key action that advances the story and gives a deeper understanding of the character, then what chapter the masturbation occurs is irrelevant, I think -- It.. um... comes.. whenever the story needs it.

    Happy Deja Vu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say get right into the action! You did, so applause from out here. Enjoyed reading your Deja Vu post, and since I missed the original one, thanks for giving me a shot at it this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely held back before and it messed me and my story up and I had a hard time getting back on track again. :) Fabulous deja vu post and reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I held back because my agent said the f-bomb won't look good for selling to houses. How wrong!!! Now I've been encouraged to speak the characters mind. Good Post. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I think I've already answered that question. It all depends on the story you're writing. And on the scene you're writing, actually." <-- Yep. Authenticity is key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if the content fits the story, the voice, and the feel is consistent through out, there's no "inappropriateness" to be scared of. You are absolutely correct it depends on the story/scene we're writing. I remember being nervous about a couple F-bombs but the situation wouldn't have been realistic without them. Great topic!!! Glad I caught the post this time around since I missed it the first time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I question my own inappropriateness all the time, but then I realize that if I'm going to remain true to myself, I just have to say it like it is. Why hide it? After all, you want the readers to know you (or your characters) as authentic because only then do you (or they) become truly relatable. Good topic and a great re-post! Happy Deja Vu.
    michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  11. sometimes you gotta go your own way and forget what "they" say. How else will you have a unique voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is something I worry about too. I'm always vigilant about what I say and write, especially because I'm a teacher and I have to set a good example for my students; if I say or write the wrong thing, I could get in big trouble. That's why it sometimes makes me afraid to write something that crosses the line.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inappropriate is a relative term. If the action, language, whatever needs to be there, put it in. If it doesn't, leave it out. It's your story, only you know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great post, Sarah...and exactly what I've been thinking about as I come upon my third book. I think when we write books, there's pressure from both sides. I read a post from Chelsea Fine who wrote an NA book where the characters did not have sex, and readers were not happy about that, but it was her choice, and she felt NA could still be NA without sex.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting concept. Glad to see someone else has no compunction in opening a chapter with an "in-you-face" moment. I opened my novel with a telephone call that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the story: implied threat of loan shark related violence.

    Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sarah - interesting and I think as in life - we don't need to read, we have choices ... but sometimes things need to be said - so congratulations on having the oomph to decide what to write and when ..

    Cheers and have a happy Christmas week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. I like that line. It made me chuckle and made me curious about the story too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think writing is about being brave and honest, I don't think you should shy away from anything for reasons of propriety. Especially if doing so would do a disservice to your story. Great repost!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sort of have two opposing thoughts on it. One, it is your book so I suppose you can write whatever you want LOL! But I think for me it would be number two, which is would the character really do/say it or is it just for shock value :) x

    ReplyDelete