31 December 2014

The Obligatory New Year's Goals Post

I wasn't even going to do this, but I've seen a lot of other people doing it, so, here we go! Goals for the new year.

1. Bust out the third draft of Uneven Lines and try to get it published 
So I know getting this book published is going to be an uphill battle, that I'm probably going to get a million rejections before something good happens. But I can't even get the battle started if  I don't FINISH THE EFFING BOOK. In February it'll be four years working on this thing and I just really want to get somewhere with it. So yeah. Most important goal right there.

2. Get some smaller pieces published. And write some more. And get those published.
I've been sitting on dozens of poems for years and haven't done anything with them. At least one good short story, too (and several bad ones). I'd really like to get them published somewhere, and start writing more. I really just want to be writing something every day and having more pieces than I know what to do with.

3. Read more books and watch more movies. 
Every single year I make a goal to read 100 books and watch 100 movies. I never even come close, especially with the books. I only read twelve this year! Twelve! I got a lot closer with the movies--84, check out the list here. I would like to actually accomplish these goals for once, and really, I should be reading a lot more.

4. Figure out what the hell I'm doing with my life
If I can accomplish #1 and #2 this will be a lot easier, but in the meantime, I really need to find a job that works for me, and hopefully move out of my apartment in the near future. My fiance and I have been living in the same studio apartment for over three years and I think it's starting to drive me a little nuts. I want ROOMS. Like, more than one.

I probably have a million other small goals but those are the big ones. I really don't feel like I accomplished anything last year, so I'd like to make some big changes in 2015. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck, Sarah. Hope you get that second room soon. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set a goal to read 100 books in 2013. I did it but barely. This year, I aimed for 85, and I made it much more easily. :)

    Good luck with everything, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you accomplish all your goals! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't meet my obligation as far as this type of post, but yours will work very well for me as well. Thanks for posting my general goals for me. I'm sure you'll do well in the coming year.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you succeed in your goals.

    If you want to produce a consistent stream of short work I would recommend joining a Flash Fiction group.

    No matter what project I'm currently stuck on I always have my weekend Flash Fiction contests to keep my brain going and it also lets me try new things on a small scale.

    Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete