24 July 2015

Cherished Blogfest

Today I'm taking part in the Cherished Blogfest, hosted by Dan Antion, Paul Ruddock, Peter Nena, Sharukh Bamboat, Tom Benson, and Damyanti Ghosh. The idea is to talk about one of our cherished objects. Tell us what it is, post a picture of it if you like, and tell us why you cherish it.


The object I want to talk about popped into my head right away, well probably because it's always on my finger--my engagement ring. While you may think the reason for cherishing this object would be pretty obvious, it's actually a bit more complex.


This ring actually belonged to my grandmother, but I never met her. She passed away when my mom was 10 years old. My grandfather eventually remarried and we always considered my step-grandmother to be our grandmother because she was the only one we knew. I remember when I was little my grandparents gave the ring to my mother, and she wore it every day because it belonged to her mother and was special to her.

When my mom passed away two years ago, my sister held onto the ring along with her other belongings. My boyfriend and I had been together for almost six years and we had talked about getting engaged, but he didn't have the money for a ring. It was actually my brother-in-law's idea to give him my grandmother's ring. My boyfriend proposed to me on Christmas Eve of that year.

So there are a lot of reasons why my engagement ring is special to me. It's a piece of family history--something that existed before I was born and that I can pass down to my children if I have them (or my niece if I don't). It was something that belonged to my mother and I can remember her by. And of course, it's a constant reminder that I have the love and support of a wonderful man who will someday be my husband.

(This was the most recent picture of us that I could stand. You know how I hate pictures of myself...)

17 comments:

  1. That does make the ring really special then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, a cherished item indeed! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, what a special token and a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a cute couple. And the ring is beautiful too. I love the idea of passing down jewelry like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your engagement ring has such a great history. It's such a gorgeous piece of jewelry!

    I have a wedding ring that belonged to my great-grandmother. She left it to me, intending for me to use it when I got married. I never actually got married (I'm going for the world record for longest engagement...), but I do cherish that ring. My niece will inherit that someday down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story and a lovely ring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely ring and definitely something special to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful (I'm from the blogfest too). I have rings from family handed down too. Very cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to have you on the Cherish blogfest. Great item that will continue to be passed along for still more generations and maybe some day, someone will think of you when they put the ring on..

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful ring and I love the history behind i.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful way to honor your grandmother and to carry the love of your family with you as you extend the boundaries of family. I wish you the best in your future. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story as part of the Cheriseh blogfest - totally appropriate and lovely to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this story! My engagement ring (while the ring was new) has the diamond from my grandmother's engagement ring (she passed away when I was seven). So I totally get the beauty and the reason behind your decision to wear her ring, =) It's an amazing thing, to carry something from your family with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely story and certainly something to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing...and for what it's worth, I also hate pictures of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a beautiful ring, and how great that it has sentimental value as well. And your picture looks great too! I know what you mean about posting pictures, though; that's one reason I don't post any pictures of myself online.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How perfect!!! My daughter and her now, husband also didn't have money for a ring either. And that's where a great aunts legacy was handed down. It means so much more!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your ring is beautiful! I love that it belonged to your grandmother and was passed down. Thanks for sharing this story with us!

    ReplyDelete