22 July 2015

Editing Lists

I make lists all of the time. Pretty much every day I have a to-do list for the things that I want or need to get done over the course of the day. I don't know if you're like me, but if you just say to yourself, "oh, I'll get to that later," then that task probably doesn't get done. Writing down what needs to be done is a great way to not only remember these tasks, but to add a bit of motivation.

I try to use a similar method when it comes to writing, especially when it comes to editing. When you need to make changes to a story, it can be helpful to know exactly what needs to be done. You may not know how to fix everything right away, but just knowing what needs to be fixed is usually the first step.

It can be extremely helpful to write down any idea that comes across your mind. If you want to rewrite a scene, add something in, cut a particular section. It's a lot of information to try to keep inside your head. Chances are you'll forget some of it, and if you have a lot of good ideas, losing them could be devastating. Writing every idea down will help you make sure all of those ideas actually happen.

There really is no right or wrong way to make an editing list, as long as you're able to understand it. I couldn't even tell you how many lists I have. I have a separate draft with comments just for making line edits. I have a list of new ideas for the section I have to rewrite. I have separate lists for each chapter with things I want to fix. You can make as many or as few editing lists as you want. You could go by chapter like I have or just have one giant list with every necessary change on it.

I've recently been working on a new list that groups things based on what order I want to work on them. Group A is for the things I've already figured out and think I can get done quickly, Group B is for things that will be slightly harder, and Group C is for all the things I'm absolutely dreading working on. I haven't figured out all of my edits yet so the list isn't quite finished yet. I think that's why Group C is pretty much blank--technically all the things I haven't figured out yet are there. But once the list is done I think it will be a good way to stay motivated. I'll start with the things I'm actually excited about working on and hopefully as time goes on those things I'm dreading will seem easier to tackle.


Having an editing list can also help you keep track of your progress. One of the reasons I like having to-do lists is that sense of accomplishment you get when you finish a task and can cross it off your list. Imagine how great it will feel once every single task is crossed off the editing list. Maybe then I can actually say my book is done? We'll see...

Do you make editing lists? What's your strategy?

10 comments:

  1. I wish I were a list person. This seems so practical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do lists. Usually I forget where I put them, which is strange because I remember most stuff in my head. Then again, my method of organization is horrible. I've got documents strewn between four different cloud services. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lists aren't nearly so neat, usually scribbled in a notebook. I'd never considered ranking edits by difficulty, I guess because sometimes with a bit of ruminating (or just getting in a revision groove), the "difficult" ones become easier.

    I usually just jot what I need to change, sometimes highlighting problem areas in the manuscript and putting revision ideas in square brackets (easy to search for them later).

    I agree that list making is essential for moving forward, especially because as you cross things off, you feel awesome and want to keep that sense of achievement going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge list girl, I have a list for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do make to-do lists, but I haven't tried making an editing list before. That's a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds very organised! I do have to-do lists for my books, but it's often much more general things. Having a specific editing list might help me achieve some of those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lists! I keep a list for...everything. For the things I need to write and especially for editing. I have lists for words and phrases to cut out and things to make sure I fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i <3 lists too - but for editing, i use sticky notes. while i'm going thru an edit round, i think of other things i need to look at and write it on a sticky note and make a pile of notes, so i guess it's sort of a list =) ya know what's better than crossing something off a list? crumpling it up and throwing it away! keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lists too! I always make comments in the margin of my manuscript, even as I'm writing it. Then, when I go through it in the editing stage, I'll probably add more notes and then go back and change everything altogether. I also write what happens in each chapter on a piece of paper, colour code it, then make MORE notes/lists about what to edit. Then I'll go back and edit my MS again. It's a lot of work, but I don't know where I'd be without all my constant note taking/lists! Like you said, it also gives you a huge sense of achievement once you cross something off your list :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. No editing list to speak of. My M.O. is to print out the pages that I've finished, sticking them into a three ring binder, then every so often, do some editing. By the time I'm finished, I have a complete story and a binder full of editing notes/scribbles.

    Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete