15 July 2015

Rewriting Chapter One

Out of the ten gazillion editing realizations I've made, deciding to rewrite the first chapter was probably one of the hardest to accept. You'd like to think after a long time with a story that you've been able to get the beginning right, but that isn't always the case. And if the first chapter isn't right, then it can be pretty hard to get people to keep reading.

It's a difficult decision because honestly, I really like the beginning of my book. I can breeze through the first five chapters like it's someone else's book and I'm just dying to know what happens next. Chapter 2 is my absolute favorite and I only have a few minor tweaks in my editing to-do list for that chapter. But I can't start the book with the second chapter. No one would know what the hell was going on. I need the first chapter to get the characters and situation established so the story can actually begin.

It's not all horrible, though. If I broke down the chapter, it really has four parts. The first two parts are the ones that need a massive overhaul, the third one just needs a little tweaking, and the fourth one doesn't really need any changes. So I really only have to rewrite half of the chapter.

On the other hand, there is a lot to change. I've never really been ok with my first line, and I'm sure you all know how important that is. So that has to go. I feel like the first scene may not make sense to some people, so I want to make sure that's clearer. There's also a lot of exposition that I think I could cut down. With the second scene, I'm actually excited about the change because I'm removing an unnecessary character and replacing her with someone whose name actually comes up again in the story. So I think it will make a lot more sense.

I also think I need to make my narrator a bit more sympathetic. Ugh. I kinda don't want to. Yeah, he's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm ok with that. But I do actually want the people who decide to read this book to keep reading. If they're turned off by the main character right away then that's probably not going to happen. Luckily I do see some space in the third scene to sneak in some sympathy, and some of the cuts I'll be making from the first two scenes should help out with that as well.

So on my giant editing to-do list, rewriting Chapter 1 is right there at the top. I know I probably won't get it all done at once. That first scene rewrite is going to be tough. The rest will be easier since I already know how to fix it. I guess the next step is to stop thinking about it and just actually do it. That's just another thing I'm trying to work on.

13 comments:

  1. As a reader, I don't need to love the main character, but I do have to care enough to find out what's going to happen, to keep reading the story. I need to find the character interesting, compelling, unusual, etc. Likable is good but not always necessary for me.

    Good luck with the edits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have a big editing goal like that, I'll do the smaller,easier things first to get them out of the way before I jump into the much more involved edit. In theory, the back of my mind is hard at work on the problem while I get the other edits done. In actuality, that very seldom ever happens.

    A likable/sympathetic character isn't always necessary for me, either. Have you gotten any feedback on your narrator from betas or CPs?

    Best of luck with the edits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 80% of the time you can't have the first chapter exactly right until the final chapter has been penned. It's like a title. Often that's the part that comes last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for doing this! I knew you'd get unstuck and I bet the changes will be awesome :) And I agree with Crystal - nobody ever gets the beginning right. It's always top on the list of changes to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I have rewritten the first couple of chapters for the first book in my series more times than I can count. I just couldn't ever get it right. And knowing that the first chapter makes or breaks the story, I always try to change it when I get a few rejections.

    Maybe you should do all the easier edits first and save the chapter rewrite for last so you can really work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the edits. Let me know if you need to me break out the pompoms and cheer you on. Or hit you over the head to get working. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read books where the main character isn't very likable, but the characters around them are. I've also had the issue of having to rewrite a first chapter, though, so do what is best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you have a great plan for the first chapter and how to fix what you have. That's half the battle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great that you have a plan as you edit, at least you know what direction you want to go in :). I always have issues with my first lines too, I think they're one of the hardest things to get right! Good luck with your edits :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had to redo my first chapter a few times. I started it at different places. I hope you're able to figure out how to best serve your story with all your edits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never gotten my first chapter right. (Well, whatever right is.) What I mean is that the first chapter could always be better - better written, faster paced, more emotional, even direct. I've rewritten the opening scene - if not chapter - to every story I've ever written. It's taken me a while to accept that, but it's just how I write. I now think of the first few chapters as my warm up to the real thing. Then, I go back and either revamp those first few chapters or cut them out. Painful - sometimes, yes - but necessary. I'm sure you'll figure it out once you let go of your need for this particular beginning. That's when it finally started to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First lines are always hard for me too. I get one and think it's pretty good, and then come up with one that's better, and then go back to the first! =) Best wishes for smooth rewrites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually ended up deleting about the first three chapters of my current novel - I about wept. But since I did that, the story has opened up for me and I've been able to see things much clearer. Also, I saved all those chapters in a Word doc just in case there are some nuggets of gold in it that I can use later. :)

    ReplyDelete