08 February 2016

Something Clicked

I think something finally happened that I've been waiting a year and a half for. At least I hope so. And if I'm right, it could mean a lot of writing will happen in the near future.

Ever since the PitchWars fiasco, I really wanted nothing to do with my book. Didn't want to work on it, didn't want to look at it, didn't even want to think about it. Well, mostly. There was still that tiny urge somewhere in my mind that still had hope for this story and still wanted to make something of it, but it just wasn't strong enough. It was buried under mountains of self-doubt, and honestly, some doubt caused by others as well.

So I haven't done much on it during that time. I've thought about it a bit, came up with some new ideas, thought a ton about the two sequels I have in mind, but didn't actually write all that much. Maybe a line here or there (or lots of random dialogue from Book 3), but most of what I wrote down were just ideas to work on later. I just couldn't get the words out. I kept waiting for something to click, for me to just be able to snap out of it and start writing again. It just wasn't happening.

But then last Thursday night happened. Through some sort of weird process comprised mostly of watching an hour long interview on YouTube and listening to music (this will only make sense to me so I'll spare you the details), I was feeling inspired. I had this very particular feeling of anxiety, which I knew from having it before meant I wanted to write. Now, usually if I feel like writing, I will basically take whatever I can get. Doesn't matter which book it is, which characters, or even if every word is awful. I'll still take it. But the problem was I had no idea what to work on.

So instead of writing, I started reading. After listening to a particular song, it made me think of one of my chapters, so I started reading it. But once I got into it, I wanted to read the chapter before it. And I went a little crazy. I had actually forgotten how good this chapter actually was. It was actually surprising that I had written it. Despite the fact that I knew exactly what was going to happen, every moment still had my heart racing. There were particular sentences that gave me chills. It certainly wasn't as awful as I had led myself to believe.

So did this lead to actual writing? Well, sort of. I think it led to a complete change in my mindset. After I finished reading, I went back to the very first scene in the book and started tackling that. I got out two paragraphs, and while I ended up cutting one of them the next day (it just didn't seem to fit the voice), it was still something. I think the words I did actually write will work. But the main thing is that I felt different. I actually wanted to write again. I wanted to think about my story. I wanted to figure things out. I haven't felt that way in a long time.

While I haven't really had time since then to write, I'm hoping once I have a free moment the words will start flowing again. And hopefully they won't stop.

On a side note, The Muse Party Blogfest: (Anti-) Valentine's Day Edition is one week away! Sign up and bring your muse to the party!

16 comments:

  1. I've had these moments and I love them. I especially love reading back over a chapter or scene and being like, "Damn. I wrote that? I am good!" It's the greatest feeling. I'm glad you experienced that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these moments and I love them. I especially love reading back over a chapter or scene and being like, "Damn. I wrote that? I am good!" It's the greatest feeling. I'm glad you experienced that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had that inspirational moment and are excited about your book again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so wonderful when inspiration finally hits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it clicked again for you. Re-reading was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great!
    I hope you hold onto that feeling and follow it. And I hope you keep chasing it... even if it runs away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit, I do like reading my stories, even when they are in rough draft stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit, I do like reading my stories, even when they are in rough draft stage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess you just needed the time to build up that itch to write. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when things click. I try to harness that feeling while its fresh in case it fades or changes. Best of luck, wishing you much success,
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Go with it. I picked up my second novel the other day to double check a fact and ended up hiding in the bathroom while my hubby asked if I was ever coming out. So 15 chapters later... When you know what's coming but you still just have to read it? Yup. Take the motivation and go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. You got your groove back.

    ReplyDelete