01 April 2014

A is for Adventure

Actually, today I want to talk about three adventures--one I'm starting right now, one I've been on for what feels like forever, and one that I'm planning for the near future.

I think choosing to be a writer, or even just writing a particular story, is like embarking on an adventure. You have to prepare yourself, plan things out. It takes a lot of commitment and a lot of work. You might encounter obstacles along the way that you didn't expect. But you learn to work past them. I think the only difference with writing is that sometimes it's hard to know when the adventure is over. 

Obviously today is the first day for the A to Z Challenge. Most of you would probably agree that this is a sort of adventure. Not only do we have to blog for 26 days, but have each post correspond with that day's letter. Some people have even committed to themes, although I chose not to take that route. I figured all of my blog posts are usually about writing in some way, anyway. Or maybe I just ran out of time to come up with something more specific. But anyway! I've made the commitment. I haven't done all that much planning. Sometimes it will be difficult. But mostly it will be fun, and hopefully I'll get to connect with a lot more writers and bloggers in the process. 

I've been on another writing adventure for quite some time. I've been working on my current WIP in one form or another for over three years. It started as a short story for a college class, and that could have been the end of it. I could have edited it, maybe tried sending it to a literary magazine. But I made a different choice. I thought there was a lot more there beneath the surface, so I decided instead to adapt the story into a novel. That took a lot of work. At times it was exhilarating, at other times frustrating. Life got in the way, lack of inspiration, dealing with anxiety and depression. It's taken me a lot longer to get where I am, but I think the momentum has picked up recently. It took me about two and a half years to write the first draft, but the second draft is coming along a lot faster. Maybe fixing the novel's problems is easier than figuring out what happens in the first place. But this adventure still seems never-ending. Once the second draft is done, then there's querying, agents, hopefully a book deal. And it won't end there, either. It's scary, but I'm looking forward to it. 

And then there's this new adventure I'm planning. I'm hoping within the next two months to quit my job and try writing full time. This is beyond scary. But I think it's time to do it. There are a few things I have to get in order before leaving my job, but I'm hoping to be out of there by June. If I could devote all of my time to writing, then I could get so much more done, instead of just struggling day to day to get out a paragraph because I'm too tired or have no time. I really need to do what's best for me at this point, and staying at a job I hate just because I'm used to it and it feels safe isn't the right choice anymore. 

Well, those are my adventures for the moment. What sort of adventures are you embarking on? Looking forward to meeting some new people through the A to Z challenge!

13 comments:

  1. Good for you for following your dreams! I wish you all the best. I think this World would be such a better place if we could just take the leap and follow our dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, just dropping by as part of the A to Z Challenge. Sounds as if you're about to embark on a pretty big adventure. Good luck with that and with the challenge. Please visit my blog at http://olivegroveview.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your adventures and best of luck with your future one.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing seems fun but not something I would like to try. But congrats and best wishes as quitting a job can be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, this writing life we chose, is quite the adventure. I am so excited and envious of you for taking the plunge and writing full time. I quit a 80 hour a week job I hated to take a 36 hour a week job I hate, but it gives me time to write, but the goal is to write full time. Looking at January and two published books under my belt before I can make that happen. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a writer is definitely an adventure! I've not yet been able to write full time. Even if I had the time, I'm not sure I'd stick with it long enough to be called a full time writer. I thought this year I would, but have not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck on both adventures, Sarah! Making the time to grow our skills as writers as well as do the actual writing is a challenge shared by many. Hold tight to the reins and keep riding your present momentum. It'll see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck to you on your writing! I was lucky to take six months off between college and getting a job to write and focus on developing writing, which really, really helped me. I hope it goes great for you.

    www.kimgraff.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for developing your story into a novel! I listened to a podcast where Janet Fitch talked about how she sent a short story to a literary magazine, only to be told by one of the editors, Joyce Carol Oates, that the story could actually be a chapter for a novel. That story eventually became the novel White Oleander, which was made into a film.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in the same boat as you; considering quitting the day job to focus on writing. I've decided to take baby steps and move into a part-time job. That solves half of my hesitations as I do still need some sort of regular income. So I'm in the Adventure of job hunting while in a full-time job and then fitting in interviews without letting the FT job know I'm hunting. ;)
    Dara the Writer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your thoughts on this writing journey, it sounds very similar to how I think about it. Especially the sometimes exhilarating/frustrating part! And wishing you nothing but the best on quitting to write full time- that's awesome you can follow your dream 100% like that. Be brave, you can do it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah! You're on your second draft?! That's a HUGE accomplishment. I'm still working on my first draft with my WIP. Good luck with the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on your adventure, you are very courageous! I can only write very short things myself, so reading the thoughts of a novel writer is fascinating :-)

    jetgirlcos visiting via A to Z Forty, c'est Fantastique

    ReplyDelete