02 April 2014

B is for a Blue Binder

All right! *cracks knuckles* I'm going to attempt to combine my A to Z Challenge post with my IWSG post. If you haven't heard of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, check out Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog to learn more. Here goes!

                

I went into a Staples recently, spent about five seconds in one aisle, then walked out empty handed. I had one of those paranoid moments when I was afraid the staff would think I stole something. But that's a different kind of insecurity, I suppose. The kind of insecurity I was really feeling at the moment was a sort of desperate need for perfection. Or maybe I was just being really picky.

Ok, ok, I'll explain. I was looking for a binder. But not just any binder. I need a binder in which to put the second draft of my novel. I haven't printed any of my revisions yet, and I like having a hard copy as well as a digital one. But this is my life's work, my masterpiece--it can't just go anywhere!

I've mentioned before that my novel has colors. You know, like a sports team or a school would. My high school's colors were black and teal, college was purple and gold. Well, my book is gray and blue. I don't know when it happened, exactly. I just started associating each color with one of my main characters, and then I started wearing these colors together a lot, and it just kind of stuck. I could go into extensive details about why I chose these particular colors, but that's probably a story for another day.

I have my first draft printed and stored in a gray binder. It took me forever to find the perfect one, and had to buy it online, actually. See, I knew that it just had to be gray, that putting my book in some random colored binder would be a violation to myself, my muse, and the universe. It just wouldn't have felt right. And so for my second draft, of course it has to be blue. But the right kind of blue. One that I haven't been able to find yet.

Ok, this is about more than just a binder, really. It's not even about seeking perfection like you would when you actually write your book. It's more about balance. I do believe that everything happens for a reason and that the universe has a plan for everyone. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I've figured most of that plan out. I may be right or I may be completely nuts, only time will tell. But in the meantime, I have to do what feels right. If I stuck my second draft in a pink binder, it would make me cringe every time I picked it up. Does that make me insecure? Probably.

Anyone else picky about where you store your hard copies? Figure out the universe's plan for you yet? Or do you think I'm crazy?

23 comments:

  1. I'm totally laughing right now! I thought IIIIIIIIIIIII was borderline crazy when it came to keeping things organized. :) In a good way, of course!

    Best of luck on finding that perfect blue. I know you probably won't rest until you do.j

    Terri @ Scribbler's Sojourn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of your novel having colors like a school or sports team. Very cool. I don't think you're crazy at all. I think lots of writers have superstitions or quirks about their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you. Colors matter to me and For my notebooks and those I use for drawing, I need them to make me feel inspired or they wont work for me. So you are not alone in this madness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone in this. I have to have the hard copies of my WIPs in certain binders. And they all have to match. I have a stockpile of them just in case Staples stops selling them or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be shocking, but I don't actually store hard copies, not until the book is in print. Yup. I'm a digital girl. I guess in that way I've never dealt with the issues of color coding. The biggest thing is, I've got three littles who would just undo my organization anyway. The only place something is safe is on my computer, or backed up on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm coming to you from the A to Z challenge list! I can so relate to having the perfect something for writing. For me, it is the perfect pen and ink combination. It has to be a fountain pen and blue/black ink. And when the ink or the pen is no longer available, I'm thrown into a tizzy to find the right replacement. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a more basic black with an occasional foray into violet as far as three-ring binders go. Now file folders, that's another story. I have yellow for computer, geek squad, big daddy, and other id/info, green for bills (hoping the color will generate more income than outgo, red for recipes, purple for thngs to draw (I'm an artist as well a writer)...
    Perle Champion at
    Perle’s Ink,
    freelance words & art

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, only worry about colours I wear, I don't obsess about colours for other things. I hope you get your perfect blue though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Sarah. I take great care in choosing the color notebook and folder when planning a new novel. Different novels go with different colors. I get it! Good luck with your novel.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been concerned about that, but after reading, I'm thinking it might be a good idea :-) Thanks for your post! http://lindacovella.com/my-blog/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Insecure, definitely not! It just means you know your story at a deep level. I do all kinds of weird associations. Most of the time they only mean something now - but I have to stay true to whatever it is. So - crazy? Of course. In a really good way that means we'd all be crazy good friends, right?
    Marlene at On Writing and Riding

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am way too lax in storing my work but then Ive been without a printer for 2 years. I stored or had all my work stored on an external hard drive and it ended up empty. I usually give someone else a file for backup.
    I like the colored binder idea.
    Enjoy the A to Z Challenge
    Bridging Sorrow

    ReplyDelete
  13. I store my work both in hard copy and computer copy (two flash drives and two hard drives). Hard copy I print out as I write so that I can do some editing during my down time. By the time I'm finished with the 1st draft, I have a notebook full of notes for the 2nd draft.

    A-Z Challenge at Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to print out my manuscripts, but these days I keep only digital copies. I understand the need to have exactly the right folder though. When you know exactly what you want, nothing else will do.

    Shelley Munro

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to knowing what the universe wants. I believe I've found it for me. As far as hard copies, I'm mostly digital.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only ever print out hard copies if my mum wants to read it (she's not a digital fan) so it never comes up. I'm just totally paranoid about backups, have to always have backups, lots of them.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't print hard copies, so I don't have binder issues, but colour can be important so I know where you're coming from. As far as the universe is concerned, we're still in dialogue :)
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  18. I stopped printing hard copies because I always had another draft to do. lol

    What color blue are you looking for, though? I know binders usually only come in cobalt. =\

    ReplyDelete
  19. I put my hard copies in a pocket file folder and then in the file cabinet. So much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god, that feeling of walking out empty handed and worrying people would think you're shop lifting is so familiar! I get it all the time - I am SO pleased to hear someone else gets it too! Now I feel less weird, or at least we're two weirdos of a kind ;-)

    Definitely important to get stationary just right, nothing quite as satisfying as when everything is matching and in order. I favour all things Muji at the moment...Including the pens, they're great for scribbling all over my manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think you're crazy with your colors. Binder color doesn't really play a role for me though. I nearly killed a tree when I printed out my copy. We just rubber-banded it, because it was so thick, I would have to punch holes probably about a 100 times. *cough* I might be a bit long-winded when I write...

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL, you are crazy, but in a good way! Just dropped by for the A to Z Challenge and enjoyed it so far! Looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't think I would find so many people out there with the same aspirations as me. Your blog is so intriguing, I haven't color coded my novels, but knowing me my colors would always be some shade of green. Good luck on the A-Z and your adventure of trying to become a published writer. It's nice to know there are others out their following the brick road . . . in your case it's probably blue :D You got a follower and fellow adventurer here. Great Blog! http://brokenwings1313.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete