21 April 2014

R is for Reading

Like most writers, I love to read. Writing and reading pretty much go hand in hand. My problem is that I never seem to read all that much anymore. Every year I make a goal to read 100 books, and every year I fail. I never even come close. This year I've only read two books so far. Two! It's pathetic!

Like everything else, my problem is time. I don't have all that much of it, so whatever free time I have left after work and well, life, I try to spend that writing (try being the main word there). But I also know that when I do find time to read, it makes me want to write more. It's so much easier to get inspired when you're reading regularly. So while I try to use my time to write, I know it also suffers because I never read anymore. So basically, I can't win.

So I'm really looking forward to having more free time. I miss reading. I don't even know who my favorite authors are anymore. If someone asked me what kind of books I like to read, I wouldn't even know how to answer. I really would love to read anything I could get my hands on at this point. I do love my Kindle ever since I got it, and I bought a bunch of books written by my blogger buddies, but I still haven't gotten around to reading them. I think I'll start slow right now. I'd like to devote just a half an hour a day to reading. We'll see how it goes.

How is everyone else doing? Do you feel reading fuels your writing? What books are you reading right now? I'd love some recommendations.

7 comments:

  1. Currently I am reading the final installment of the Divergent Series. Alliegiant, I plan on starting Nebula by L.A. Sees afterwards. I actually find writing on my blog helps me with my writing, although by reading Divergent, I made the decision to completely change the tense of my W.I.P. So I guess in a way reading did help me a little. I actually prefer to write over read. I like to create the stories, imagine my own worlds, and bond with my own characters. Most of the books I read are series because I see the movie and want to know what happens next, I'm impatient that way! Good luck with your W.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I reached the 100 mark, and I'm looking forward to doing it again this year. I found that putting a tangible marker on it make the goal real. I started reviewing many of my indie friends books, and challenging myself to read 2 books a week. It works well around an exercise routine, short breaks, waits and and even when stopped at red lights. Yes, while stopped in traffic. *shrugs* You do what you've got to do, right?

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read nearly enough. Like you, my problem is time, but I am trying to squeeze more reading time in. It's difficult because when I'm writing/editing/proofreading all day, the last thing my eyes want to do is read more words lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually one of those possibly rare at-risk-of-being-shot writers who believe reading a copious amount of books is not a good idea. My personal opinion is that in order to read a hundred books a year, you'd have to find a hundred good books that meet your tastes. As someone who is picky, this is no easy task.

    I wish I could say I just like dystopian books and then I'd know where to look all the time, but even then there are genres within genres.

    On top of that, I think the brain has a way of soaking things up in both positive and negative ways, and it's the negative ways that scare me. I think more time in your own brain is better than a lot of time in someone else's, especially seeing as the publishing industry likes to play things safe, meaning you'll see a lot of common tropes popping up repeatedly, and unbeknownst to you, you could actually be brainwashing yourself. Next minute, you're sitting down trying to write and all those cliches find their way into your story without meaning to!

    I read constantly but am not hard on myself, especially in regards to finishing books. If a book can't hold my interest I never force myself to finish it. I'll def skim it, but I don't like giving my attention to things I'm half hearted about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only two books? :( I'm sorry you haven't had the time to read. For the first time in a long time I seem to be devouring books. Most of them are YA, because for some reason I was in the mood to read every YA book I could get my hands on, but I'm not complaining. :) I hope you can find some time to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading does fuel my writing and I should be doing a lot more of it! I haven't read anything in a while and I can feel myself sort of 'drying out.' Time to get on that reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely don't read as much as I think I should, and I have noticed a huge drop in my reading over the last year and a bit, since I started working full time. I love reading, and I could do more of it, but usually by the time I'm finished work and have done my evening errands/spent time with my husband, I am exhausted and would rather curl up and watch something than strain my eyes to read (I stare a computer all day and half the time have a headache by night!) But I am trying to get back in the habit of reading daily...I miss it terribly when I'm away from reading for too long!

    ReplyDelete