25 April 2014

V is for Victory

I did it. I made it through Chapter 17, aka Brian's birthday party. This is my twist chapter. This is when shit. goes. down. I feel I came up with an accurate description of how a reader would react while reading this chapter:

Hmm, boring party.
Wait, what?
No. He can’t. Seriously? No no no. HE CAN’T.
YAY! He didn’t!
WAIT. REALLY? Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod! I don’t know how I feel about this! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
*gasp* WHAT?! NO. THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE. AGH. BUT HE…WHAT???????!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
*throws computer against wall…except probably not, because it’s a computer…*

Or at least I hope that's how they react. Really, I was just having fun. But if they don't react this way, then I haven't done my job. Only time will tell. Having this sort of reaction would be another victory. It would mean that the readers are invested in the story, that they care what happens to the characters. Isn't that the whole point of having someone read your story? You don't want them to feel nothing. 

The fact that I got through Chapter 17 means that I actually rewrote two chapters yesterday. It was a big accomplishment. I noticed something interesting, as well while I was writing. Even though it's my book, and I knew exactly what was going to happen, my heart was pounding the whole time while I was writing, like the suspense was too much. I hope this means I did a good job. 

I seriously want someone to come up to me and say, "I hate you," after reading this chapter. I can't wait. Yesterday turned out to be a great day. Writing gives me that feeling that nothing else can. I'm happiest when I'm writing. I can't wait for the day when it's all I do. 

On a not so victorious note, I did not get around to 30 blogs yesterday. I ended up leaving 6 comments, but followed a bunch of new blogs to check out later. It seemed that no amount of coffee could wake me up yesterday and I only got my writing momentum much later in the day. See, this is why I don't make specific goals for myself, because I never reach them! Oh well, it's another day! 

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you that you were finally able to finish that chapter and you can now work on your explosive chapters. :) I also loved your "reader's reaction". I bet that's exactly what they will be thinking. Or maybe screaming. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to feel that you have succeeded and I hope your readers do feel that way. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've shared themes today! So a double-congrats on getting through that chapter and working on material you are really enjoying, =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, definitely!! Messing with readers is as fun as messing with characters, and it sounds like you're getting to do both. Victory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing the feeling of writing a scene that's important to us as writers. I'm glad you are happy with your twist and sometimes if to do our job right, readers will hate us :) The burden of being an author!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing your big chapter! If it can inspire such emotion in you as the author, I'm sure the reader will have strong feelings about it as well.

    It always feels satisfying to reach a writing goal or just to get some good new words on a a page. I've been trying to make the A to Z rounds myself, but all this writing has inspired me to start a new story and too often I've put the blogging/commenting aside to work on the new project. Must .... finish... A to.... Z

    x___x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woot! That's awesome it has you feeling that way too. Always fun to read scenes like that :)

    And whew I've not been making it to as many blogs as I'd hoped. I made a dent but alas real life and not enough hours have gotten in the way.

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete