18 April 2014

P is for Poetry

One of the things I never seem to have time (or inspiration) for is writing poetry. For a long time during college I had given up on writing fiction, after two fiction writing classes proved disappointing. But in those classes, you could only write short stories, and if you read my N post the other day, you can imagine how well that went for me. So after two semesters of fiction, I decided to try poetry instead. And I loved it. I'd written poetry before, most of it in high school, most of it more awful than you can imagine. But I was older and wiser now, so I had more things to write about and more perspective to write them well.

I thought poetry was my calling, as I kept taking classes up until my last semester at college. In my final semester, I had the option to create a thesis project in order to obtain a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) instead of a BA. I chose to write a poetry portfolio. The other options included writing a novel or a collection of short stories, but poetry had been my thing for so long that it seemed like the natural choice. I had developed a certain voice in my poetry, one that was distinctly mine, with a feminine edge and a good amount of sarcasm. It was always easy to write poetry because I was usually writing as myself.

I also decided in my last semester to try one more fiction class, which was either the greatest or worst decision ever. The first short story I came up with eventually turned into the novel I've been working on for the last three years. I don't think I would go back and change my mind if I could, because I really believe this particular story is my calling, but it's been a rough journey. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had stuck completely with poetry. Where would I be in my life right now? I suppose it doesn't matter, especially because I feel everything happens for a reason.

One of my biggest regrets, however, is that I never write poetry anymore. It was easy to come up with ideas when I was in college and forced to hand in a new poem every two weeks. Now I'm so focused on my novel that it's hard to come up with poems. Even when I do get an idea, I never actually write it down. It just kind of floats to the back of my mind. I know if I had more time, I would be able to focus on poetry more, not just writing new poems but finding places to publish my old ones. Because it kind of breaks my heart that I'm not really a poet anymore.

I was going to share a poem, but I couldn't find one I liked enough! They all need a lot of work...

11 comments:

  1. I've never been able to write poetry, I just can't seem to do it. I admire those who have a talent for it. I bet the poems you considered sharing were much better than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to write poetry (started out with it) but when I picked up novel writing I never went back. Well, not never. Poetry manages to find itself in my writing now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid, poetry was all I would write. Poem after poem, but then I started writing books at twelve and slowly I started writing less poems. Now I can't even say that I write a poem a year. I do, however, write songs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through a phase in high school where poetry was the only form of expression I had. Most of my poems were dark, and depressing, that's just where I was in my life at that time. Now writing poetry seems to be the hardest thing to do. I can't write anymore, or at least every time I've tried it just doesn't connect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been able to write poetry - I tend to need to make it rhyme, and then it turns out cheesy lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write poetry more than I'll publicly admit ;) But it's never been one of my strengths! Someday, I hope it will be. :)
    Where Legends Begin

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could always write some nice 8 or 12 line poems in stanzas of 4, the "flash fiction of poetry," or haikus. I don't write a whole lot of poetry, but I'll write the occasional one. And I've been writing some raps lately, which are sort of like poems. Meter is not my strong point, but in writing raps it comes easily enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't write poetry and I give kudos to those who can. Poems are one of the few (if not only) genres where it doesn't do anything for me. I'll look at it as a good story but that's about it.

    A-Z Challenge at Father Nature's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Sarah

    I popped on over from A-Z and glad I did. I love writing poetry and have made my theme this year exactly that. Fun project.

    We're on the home stretch for this year's A-Z and I've loved every moment of it. Hope you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the honesty of your blog post. I haven't written poetry in years, but I'm finding working on my third novel challenging enough. I wish you all the best on the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What matters isvthat you give it an honest shot. I cannot write poetry either!

    www.volatilespirits.com

    ReplyDelete